Video Games +

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Shadowman

Re: Video Games +

Post by Shadowman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:08 pm

Mordor was ok. Just mind numbingly easy. I mean, the game chucks tons of enemies at you in some fights, which is really impressive, but I could stomp the little fuckers into the ground without any effort. The nemesis system rocked but I barely had the chance to use it as most of the enemies I fought ended up dead in my first encounter, so seldom did I ever meet the same one twice.
The sequel in that respect sounds like its improved things in terms of difficulty, which makes me happy. But it still sounds like a fairly large, souless open world game. And I don't have time for those this year.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 pm

I played 2-3 hours of Mordor earlier this year and it just bored me to tears.

It was like a paint-by-numbers open world game, nothing exciting about it, mechanics ripped from a myriad number of other games, just felt so rote to me.
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

regemond

Post by regemond » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:26 am

Blakey wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 pm

It was like a paint-by-numbers open world game, nothing exciting about it, mechanics ripped from a myriad number of other games, just felt so rote to me.
Whereas I loved it from start to finish BECAUSE it took aspects from different games and put them in one cohesive title.

Assassin's Creed open-world? Check.
Batman combat? Check
Tomb Raider-style bow and arrow? Check.
Task/Challenge lists from every RPG ever? Check.

Then throw in the Nemesis system on top (which like maf said, great idea, average execution) and it took on its own personality too.

It was entirely brainless, but in the good way. The relaxing way where, once powered up, you can wade into any battle and feel like a god.

This is coming from someone who isn't particularly fond of the source material too. I've never finished watching Jackson's trilogy (get about half way through 2 and I'm just 'meh' by that point). I've never read the books. The only LOTR game I've ever played was Lego LOTR. So it's not coming from a fanboy perspective.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:30 am

regemond wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:26 am
Blakey wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Whereas I loved it from start to finish BECAUSE it took aspects from different games and put them in one cohesive title.

Assassin's Creed open-world? Check.
Batman combat? Check
Tomb Raider-style bow and arrow? Check.
Task/Challenge lists from every RPG ever? Check.

Then throw in the Nemesis system on top (which like maf said, great idea, average execution) and it took on its own personality too.

It was entirely brainless, but in the good way. The relaxing way where, once powered up, you can wade into any battle and feel like a god.

This is coming from someone who isn't particularly fond of the source material too. I've never finished watching Jackson's trilogy (get about half way through 2 and I'm just 'meh' by that point). I've never read the books. The only LOTR game I've ever played was Lego LOTR. So it's not coming from a fanboy perspective.
Yeah but I already done and experienced that stuff in those other games.

I have to say I really hate not having a Switch because people talk about Zelda the way people talked about Witcher in 2015 and that was the last open world game to make me go "****".

Anyway the GAF refugee forum 'ResetEra' is up and running now: https://www.resetera.com/

It's an invite only forum made of tons of former GAF users who went and left after the weird shit with the admin but the community has been so fragmented now it's hard to see it becoming like a big insiders club or influencer in the industry like GAF used to.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:22 am

Playing Wolfenstein last night made me realise that I must be getting old because holy shit I'm bad at games now.

Can anyone relate to this and how do I stop this 'getting old' thing.

It's like I'm at the stage where the information on screen is pure TMI, just can't process it anymore.

Going to drop down to babby mode I think

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:28 pm

I think no doubt our reactions get slower but our planning/reasoning or experience improve. I don't find myself bad at games, just approach them differently I think.

Maybe you're just bad at games :P

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:54 pm

I've gotten better at games as I've gotten older. I was shit at many games back in the day, and these days I can finish them with fewer issues. Though I do tend to try and figure out why I'm doing bad at a certain part rather than just rage these days. As usually I'm just doing something stupid rather than the game being difficult.

bellow

Post by bellow » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Bad at games?
Welcome to my world.
PSN: bellow
XBOX live: nebrad16

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I feel like with anything age brings experience so on the one hand I get smarter about games all the time, and attacking a situation with combined intelligence and experience makes me better, however this is all balanced out with my reaction times being not what they were at all.

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Copycat.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Nuh-uh

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:12 am

Is there a difference between a dice roll and RNG in video games?

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:20 am

Things in video games can be fudged and we probably don't know that exact probability it's working with.

A dice/die roll you can work with. 1/6.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:34 pm

Did you read it wrong again?

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:38 pm

RNG is contrived randomness where an engineer tries to implement a mathematical algorithm and might feed it values such as a system's date-time to produce an outcome which appears 'random'.

Sometimes these things break and people can use its flaws to figure out the rules of the RNG solution. FFX on PS4 famously had a broken RNG where you could accurately predict the outcome of every action almost (was patched eventually).

Dice roll works off real world physics and such, not a bunch of maths that may or may not be 'good enough' for randomness

Here's a website all about RNG
https://www.random.org/