The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt : + Spoilers.

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Bilge Rat

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt : + Spoilers.

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 am

All expansion content complete! Blood and Wine was amazing and added so much extra content. Hearts of Stone had an interesting story but didn't add as much extra stuff so it was always going to feel a bit less special.

Unfortunately I was playing the GoG version so there were no achievements (or at least they didn't work for me because it thought I was offline). I played for over 120 hours so I would have got most of them. Saves me from the temptation of playing again on maximum difficulty I guess :P

I still think that the levelling system is a bit too inflexible. I reset my abilities several times over the course of Hearts of Stone and found that there are indeed some great abilities in the sign and alchemy trees. Still, the stinginess of the points and the game's insistence that you waste points on useless skills to progress prevents you from making anything truly fun, and even more so in the early game. For instance, it is possible to use a mutation to make a viable crossbow build, but not unless you are most of the way through the last expansion (I quickly gave up on it though since it was super boring). By the end I had maxed-out Aard powers and had discovered the decoction that restored health every time I blasted a group of enemies, instant-killing half of them with the frost mutation are crippling the rest.

The mutations added in Blood and Wine present a bit of extra interest but even they have a weird, awkward and frustrating system. It costs ability points to research mutations and extra ability slots are unlocked with each one that you research. However, you can only equip one mutagen at a time, so the rest are wasted, plus if you spend all your ability points to unlock slots then you won't have any left to buy the skills to put in them :?

Still a great game overall. Lots of fun and some really strong story elements for such an open RPG.

Eric Dall

Post by Eric Dall » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 am

Witcher 3 is amazing! Most of all I liked secondary quests and contracts. You should complete them as much as possible, they are not only interesting, but they sometimes turn out to be more bigger than you imagined at first.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue May 23, 2017 3:33 pm

Discussing Ciri's Role in Cyberpunk 2077

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmNsC0Limwg

:shock: cool never even thought about that scene at the time.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu May 25, 2017 3:47 am

Free PS4 Themes Don't Get Much Better than Gwent: The Witcher Card Game's

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/05/ ... card_games

It's even got the Gwent music
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:19 am

E3 2017: The Witcher 3 Will Get Xbox One X Support

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:12 pm

The Witcher 3 is getting patched for Pro and Xbox X.

Big news, The Witcher 3 looks amazing on PC. Can't quite turn up every setting myself but it still looks great.
🌚

DJCarlos

Post by DJCarlos » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:05 am

Late to the party but...I've just started playing this on my Pro. It's the inaugural game for my new 4k telly.

I've played a good few hours already, finished White Orchard and am now in the 'real' open world.

Loving it so far, the characters, story and general feel of the world are great, the music is perfect and it all looks absolutely beautiful - hopefully the UHD patch will arrive soon to give it even more sparkle.

I can see myself pouring many hours into this.

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:47 pm

It hasn't had its Pro update yet though, has it?... I'd hold off till then, I have every intention of going through this again once I have an Xbox One X and the update drops.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:14 am

The tenth anniversary of The Witcher franchise is coming, and Geralt of Rivia wants to thank you personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgqz8Je7P0s

:cry: awwww.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:32 am

During a presentation for investors hosted yesterday, CD Pojekt RED President and Joint CEO Adam Kiciński talked briefly about the studio’s massively successful The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Kiciński explained that the game “is not getting old” and is still “selling phenomenally well.” Kiciński also added that for those who would like to play the game on the new console, the 4K update for PS4 Pro will be available “in just a few days.”

On the other hand, the Xbox One X version will come “by the end of the year,” which makes sense since the console won’t launch until November 7th.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:38 pm

Bought this in the PSN sale. Always felt guilty for not playing it, so I intend to do so in the coming weeks.

I hope I don't get bored :x

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Well there's plenty you can do, but I found a lot of it was repetitive (monster hunts, nests etc), but Gwent was fun once you get the hang of it, and have some decent cards.

Overall its alright, but for me I struggle to really understand the high plaudits for the game.

Looking back I spent 120hrs+ doing the game & DLC. Hence some bits are excellent (parts of main story / DLC, occasional side quest) but there's an awful lot of mundane filler.

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Yeah I'm finding these days it's hard to muster up the effort to do big open worlds. I did Breath of the wild and Horizon this year but both of those allowed me to nibble at what I could be bothered with.

I've heard the story in this is really good. Even the sidequests. So hopefully that holds true.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Its fairly well 'labelled' as to what is main quest & what isnt. Every settlement has a noticeboard of filler quests Inc Gwent games, then there are other random things too.

You could probably rattle through the story reasonably quickly if you can stay focussed though.

DJCarlos

Post by DJCarlos » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 am

*OneTwo* wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:40 pm
I've heard the story in this is really good. Even the sidequests. So hopefully that holds true.
I really enjoyed the story, the sidequests are generally worth doing as they add colour and backstory to the world. Let's just say I was a tad disappointed when my logs only showed main story quests left to do!