The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt : + Spoilers.

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
sleepery jeem

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt : + Spoilers.

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:13 pm

:| have to stop following your adventures now as I've still to start all the dlc, Horizon comes first, back to this in the summer perhaps .
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:26 am

The Caretaker boss in Hearts of Stone is terrible - not really challenging but mind numbingly repeatative and almost gamebreakingly dull and frustrating. Roll around chip away its health avoid attacks (which cause it to regen) kill spectres (which cause it to regent), repeat ad infinitum, slowly chipping away with little actual threat to you, but ever so slowly reducing its health bar.

Truly awful.

Well......

It seems that if you just keep spamming your Axxi sign it prevents it from regening from you, and the fight , whilst still irksome, can be finished reasonably quickly :roll:

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:46 pm

I got annoyed with WoW so I started playing a bit of this again. Still pretty fun.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:54 am

Hearts of Stone was pretty decent overall, now for Blood & Wine.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Blood & Wine has a distinctly different feel to it, a technicolor Camelot, I wonder if they'll be any singing knights?

Also a whole new Gwent deck to collect there too :D

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:00 am

Blood & Wine , just entered & won the knight tournament, but was slightly disappointed that despite picking the "alias" name I couldn't go through it incognito with a big reveal at the end. It was fun nevertheless.

Not sure whether I like the cheesyness of breaking the 4th wall in terms of the quest naming (some are modern song titles) or the early monogrammed handkerchief "DLC" :roll:

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Blood + Wine - the story has taken a predictable twist, but at leat there's an element of choice about how to progress it. For me, well I'm off to storybook.land......

Aside - after around 120hrs I said to Mrs S, despite rding around for ages, and winning many races, its kind of irritating when riding Roach that you can't jump over small walls. She gives me this odd look, then says " just tap 0 " and Roach jumps...... :oops:

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:33 am

Finished Blood & Wine , with the happy ending.

So all done now ended up at Lv 52 after 124 hrs - there's a number of Noticeboard & Treasure Hunts left but I didn't really enjoy doing those.

Overall I enjoyed it, the storytelling was good but many of the gameplay elements were overused, hence very repetitive.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:15 pm

The quests in this game are so good. It really does make other games look bad by comparison. It isn't often that I want to keep playing just to see what happens next.

I think part of it might be to do with the way that the characters are designed. There are a lot of people that are pretty much arseholes but for whom I nonetheless have a begrudging respect. I think a lot of games just take the easy option of having antagonistic NPCs who are jerks and helpful NPCs who are polite, with nothing in between. Characters like the Bloody Baron and Dijkstra / Reuven have so much more depth.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:58 pm

Having finished the main quest & those in both DLCs I'm now going round doing some of the noticeboard quests and the ? areas.

Its a bit odd really, those quests irritated me when playing the main game since, IMHO they don't really achieve much in terms of reward ( low Exp return and negligible pick ups). Yet now I've finished the main quests going around and mopping up is okay, and there are a few that are genuinely interesting (albeit way too many that are simply go there, use Witcher sense, kill monster).

I just can't get the enthusiasm to start another game yet, and having spent 100+ hrs on Witcher 3 then a few more hours seems reassuringly comfortable.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:48 am

Pretty much finished everything I want to now, cleared up the Noticeboard quests, completed all the races, but......

I still haven't collected all the Gwent cards :(

I got all the Skellige deck, since the Blood & Wine DLC actually tells you who you can get the cards from, but I'm a few cards short in the other decks, and the Guide to Gwent book in my inventory just says that I've got 4 Cards (missing) in Novigrad, and 5 from People of no particular note.

So I guess this means that I'd have to revisit all the traders and bars throughout the entirety of Novigrad to try to find the ones I'm missing, with no indication who & where I specifically need to go......

Yes, right, probably give it a miss then.

Updated - checked my cards online & I'm missing 4 leader cards that you can win during the Gwent tournaments, so I don't think I can get them now anyway. Oh well, since the tournaments had a twist in them I'd assumed they were fixed so you didn't actually win the rounds, I guess if you're going for 100% then a save & reload if you lose a round is needed there

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm

it informed me that I had failed the 'Collect 'Em All' quest pretty early on so now I know that I can just ignore Gwent completely :P

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:30 pm

Oh, I still have it as an active quest even though it seems that I can't complete it :?

I also have a couple of broken quests too, where the people who are suppose to be at certain places are simply never there (Novigrad Closed City done 2/3, and Til Death Do Us Part (Blood & Wine))

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Gwent: The Witcher Card Game PS4 Beta Starts This Weekend, No PS Plus Required

Gwent: The Witcher Card Game has been available in beta form since last year on PC and Xbox One, giving Witcher fans a taste of what the developers have done to make the series’ classic card game a standalone experience. PlayStation 4 owners were originally left out of the fun for whatever reason, but this weekend that will change.

Developer CD Projekt RED has announced that the card game will be coming to PlayStation 4 this weekend in the form of a technical beta, with users just having to search for it in the PlayStation Store and download it with no signups or pre-orders being needed. As for when it kicks off, PS4 players will be able start playing tomorrow, March 31st, at 1pm EDT and will be able to play until Monday, April 3rd, at 2am EDT.

Players in North America, Europe and South America will be able to take part in the beta, with English, German, Russian, French, Brazilian-Portuguese, Spanish, Latin American-Spanish, Italian and Polish being the supported languages. The file size is about 3GB, and you aren’t required to have a PlayStation Plus subscription to take part in it.

The beta will allow players to play in online casual matches, while also playing the tutorial to get a feel for the game and even build your own decks. However, what will be different with this beta compared to the ones running on PC and Xbox One is the fact that you won’t be able to purchase in-game items with real money. The reason for this is that your account will be deleted as soon as the beta concludes, wasting any money you would have spent.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Main story complete. The game did get a little repetitive but I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it overall.

One thing that I think they could have improved was the levelling system. The way that it is structured is extremely restrictive due to the harsh unlock requirements and the limited number of skill slots. A lot of the magic and alchemy skills would be fun but there is just no hope of ever getting to them since the combat talents are obviously more useful. I even checked a guide to see if there were any other options but this just confirmed that the abilities that I had picked out were the best ones - if you don't let yourself be funnelled down the clear route then you are just making things hard for yourself.