The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt : + Spoilers.

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
shinymcshine

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt : + Spoilers.

Post by shinymcshine » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:40 pm

That film as really good.

Only point of niggle was the actor who played Geralt, named as "Maul Cosplay" - do you reckon he's still signing on ?

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Hopped on the boat to Skellige - ableit I think I might have actually travelled to Asgard, or maybe even Skyrim.

Well its a nice change of scenary anyway.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Just about finished with Skyrim myself, I did buy the season pass when it was on sale last month but i'm not sure I want another open world game and then Horizon zero dawn in march, think a change of pace is due.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:51 pm

I'd say its more like Assassins Creed than Skyrim in terms of being 'open world'.

If you can ignore the repetitive monster nest, hidden cache, bandit camps and noticeboard monster hunt quests (most of these are just padding), and just focus on the main quest and occasional side quest I reckon you could have a good time in 30 hrs or less.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:08 am

An example of padding:

Secondary Quest - The Possession

Once you've picked up the quest you then travel to a village and run around talking to random villagers to try to find a lead regarding someone's whereabouts. Then travel to an abandoned house and speak to the person you were looking for, before travelling back to the village to speak to the Jarl. Then back to the abandoned house to retrieve an item (which you couldn't collect first time around) and back to the Jarl. Off then to the sea to dive to find some remains, then back to Jarl, before going through more dialogue. Finally back to abandoned house to determine your course of action, progress through more dialogue (including timed event choice) leading to the finish.

Probably took me around 30-40 mins to do all this, what with listening and interacting with the dialogue, lots of running/riding between places, a couple of incidental, environment, based monsters to kill, and using the witcher sense to search for things.

However, the theme of the quest, the writing and the decision making are all engaging, all the padding surrounding it though isn't good at all.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Did all the silly stuff like the sea chests, but don't think I could go through all that again, so it wont be a new game+ this time just the DLC (which i downloaded when i bought the pass).
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:47 am

Again I see that Witcher 3 falls foul of lacking that fundamental mechanism that drives you to complete the main quest.

It seems ridiculous that in most open world RPGs that you can continue to ignore the impending doom that is suppose to be compelling you (in this case the Wild Hunt's pursuit of Ciri) and spend an extraordinary amount of time doing side missions and collection quests etc, without any negative consequences.

I recall that the original Fallout game had a time boundary around getting the water purifier, and I think Wasteland 2 had some quests that were time limited too, but they seem an exception. IIRC the side quests in Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) were time bounded too.

Its surely not too much to ask that they add a timed mechanism in, so perhaps you miss things later on if you dally around too much, or the world decays and becomes more dangerous the longer you delay?

Are there any other good examples where they've done this in any games ?

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:37 pm

shinymcshine wrote:Are there any other good examples where they've done this in any games ?
No.... :wink:

Me personally, I can't stand "timed mechanics" in games... The early Dead Rising games, Lost Planet with its heat mechanic (basically being timed while outside)... If you're going to be timed in an open world game then you may as well not be in an open world game...

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:48 am

In W3 it could be done more organically, so events happen in a natual order, if you're there prior you can influence them, if not then you deal with the consequences.

e.g.
If you take too long getting to Skellige then the succession to the Jarl's throne has already taken place, and you then deal with the fallout.

--------------------------------------

Weird occurance during the Echo of the Past main quest on Skellige - during a conversation with Yennifer, after speaking with the druids, Geralt's voice changes. Its significant enough to suggest they perhaps had to do a retake with a different voice actor (its higher pitched, less gruff), only occurs during a short sequence then its back to normal.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:28 pm

The Battle at Kaer Morhen

It was nice to see your allies make an appearance and the different stages of the battle were okay. The issue was the lack of seemless flow that such an event needed, instead it was repeatedly interupted with loading screens and cut scenes.

What I'm not sure of is whether you actually influence any of the events through your actions (Vemir died in what I assume was a predetermined sequence at the end with Ciri, everyone else survived, including the guy from Skellige who never seemed to appeared in any of the battle sequences, so I assume he just turned up in time for the funeral pyre).

I subsequently noticed I got the Full Crew trophy ,wonder if the fight was any harder without them all ?

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Oh come on just finish FFS !

There's so much filler after the Battle of Kaer Morhen that its beginning to outstay its welcome. I can't wait for the credits to roll then to crack on with the DLC

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Why would you want to crack on with the dlc? It actually sounds like you're using the game to punish yourself in some way. :lol:

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:00 am

The pacing since the Battle of Kaer Morhen is really poor , way too many fetch & carry type quests at a point where I'm suppose to be reaching the climax of the main story. Hence I just want it to speed on to the end.

From what I've read the DLC is suppose to be pretty decent with nice tight storylines so I'm looking forward to them.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Yes finally finished the main story quest, lv 34, 86 hrs played.

I honestly think they should have wrapped it up sooner after the Battle of Kaer Morhen, it was all a bit of a drag after that.

Still I'm looking forward to the DLC quests.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:45 am

Hearts of Stone has a nice amount of moral ambiguity in at :-)

I've just completed the heist at the auction house, and I enjoyed the bits about gathering the party together, dealing with the events inside then delivering the house to complete the first task. Hope the rest of it is similar in standard.