No Man’s Sky

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Shadowman

Re: No Man’s Sky

Post by Shadowman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:08 pm

Decided to visit a moon that was close by today. Found a rather attractive damaged ship that needed fixing up. Probably should have realised that Zinc was so fucking rare on this dead rock of a moon. Spent the next hour walking all over the place looking for some to repair it :lol: Its all fixed up now though and its a great ship, much better than my last one. The moon was bizarrely awesome, I only encountered two lone aliens on it, one of which was a plot point, the other I retrieved a really nice multi tool off of. Its barren landscape with no life was exactly how I imagined a moon to be. It made the whole experience pretty cool.

I then headed to the planet the previous moon orbited. Its a lush jungle/marsh planet with huge underwater areas. I'll be exploring this area next. So awesome...

So yeah, I'm loving this game at the moment. Still wish I could send materials I don't need right now, but might need in the future into some kind of central vault on space stations but bar that its great. Exploring these worlds for either the main plot, or just to see what I can get out of it (upgrades, materials to sell, new words from the alien language etc.)

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:48 pm

Sticker on PS4 Copies of No Man's Sky Removes Reference to Online Play

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/08/ ... nline_play

:? cover up or misstep.....either way not that bothered myself.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

bellow

Post by bellow » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:47 pm

This game was always going to be a long shot for me. Yesterday I had to search for well over an hour for hiridium to fix my ship. Now I need thruster fuel and there's none around. Effing zilch. I know there's some out there but there's no fun in the trek, just long stretches of **** all, and an occasional mini dinosaur.

From what I've read that's more or less the game.

Earlier I had a spare hour, a luxury around here believe me. I went in my cave and fired up the ps4, and started watching youtube videos because I knew the game resting in the disk drive was a chore in waiting.

I think I might be done.

Of course I've felt like this before, and the game has suddenly made sense. Mmm. We'll see.
Is it on the Switch?

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:01 am

maf-me-quick wrote:
maf-me-quick wrote:I'm really disappointed this has come out as just another survival game. I knew that would be a strong element of it, but everything special about this game seems wrapped up in the tech but not the gameplay.
I'm such a good game reviewer I don't even need to play the game to be on point

Or you should never listen to Jim Sterling. Which I stopped doing years ago

I wonder in which way I will be proven right

Bwa-ha-ha I don't gamble I just win
Jim's review basically confirmed what I feared from the outset. Other reviews are kinda echoing the same issues but skirt over them to varying degrees, depending on how much they like (or little they've played) of this kind if game.

Jim has played shitloads of survival games so probably is sick of the same hook they all suck onto. I've done a fair few and I've found I'm not a fan. So I'll probably give this a miss.

Also, hello. :)

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:23 am

Day 3, I've spent the morning on planet of the Metroids. Well one creature looked like a Metroid hence the name, but it also had violent Rhino Dino's and fucking crabs! Those bastard crabs were the most annoying things in the game, since they are fast and really small. Bastards. Also, acid rain at all times so I was creating holes in walls to shelter periodically. Lots of valuable stuff though so I've managed to once again profit! Also, had a really bizarre glitch where my ship seemed to be sinking/falling so no matter how close I tried to get it always got further away. Took me a 20 minute trip to a outpost to manually call the ship to me. Bastard crabs.
It did give me tons of time to explore the world though, I lucked out and got plans to easily develop warp drive fuel, just wish I had Atlas key plans.

That's the one continued issue - I've found NOTHING in 10+ hours to upgrade my suit. I know I can get access to upgrades if I had Atlas keys, and I know upgrades are randomly placed on planets but I've found none, and its not as if I've not spent loads of time on foot looking. Oh well, I wonder what the next planet will hold for me!

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:09 pm

:lol: and so far on the one moon that sits beside Ca-coo-bree I've found an acid suit shield upgrade, cold shield and heat shield.

If I remember rightly I got two of them from chatting to Korvax traders (the ones that are on the large landing pads, the one you need to jetpack up two) in each case I coughed up the most expensive option given for a reward.

8) and have added 2 slots to my suit at 10 grand a time, look out for man sized pods like the little ones you find that are marked with the blue sprockets.

And after solving one of the numerical puzzles I got a waypoint to my first crashed ship....7h away at full speed...... :| ....thankfully Hello was smart enough to let you go on a sub-orbital drop to get there quicker with warp speed.

It would have been a real pain if you waypoints vanished when you left orbit...... :? though that might happen if you land on another planet....not testing it anyway.

I was asking about which initial race everyone got as I was wandering about placement and corresponding puzzles.

Seems to me there's three way the disposition of alien races would work...

1 : completely random, this due to the engine would place a mix universe wide.

2 : each race controls a set portion of space, an empire if you will.

3 : the onion, by that I mean three layers, the explorers the Korvax on the outside, the traders the Gek in the middle and finally the Vy'keen.

The idea being you start off exploring with the Korvax , then as you move to the centre you meet the Gek for heavy trading and finally the Vy'keen as you approach the centre for combat training.

Moving on to the puzzles, the numerical one seem to come in two types, finish the sequential sequence and the other multiply by the difference.

Is there any others ?.

Also the Korvax monoliths seems to be sciency in nature, in one I was told a swarm of nano machines had engulfed me and I was to offer (or not) my multi tool for examination.

Another was about staying home or exploring, so its seems to me by always pushing forward the Korvax will reward you.

So I was wondering will the Gek's be about trade deals/being generous or greedy, and the Vy'keen about being violent vs cowardly?.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:23 pm

So it's out now on PC, but apparently it's having some troubles?

I'm still sort of interested in the game despite the lukewarm reception so hopefully it sorts itself out.
🌚

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:19 pm

8) OOOOOHH ! my first stardrive power up, found it on a wrecked Korvax ship....

Have now added 5 new slots to my exosuit in total after finding another 3 pods in 40min...

Status update : 108 words and counting (becoming a bit of an obsession for me)...

Edit...

Found another useful add-on...

:shock: ok call the copyright lawyers ! THAT is a Battlestar Galatica Viper...

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:05 pm

:lol: nice reference to Hitchhikers Guide with the notation that I've achieved the rank of Babel {fish) after 150 words.

:| however discovered an annoying glitch that led to 2 utility tool add on sites crashing the game when you try to unlock them.

Aside from that have found some more drop pods, at this rate I wont really need a bigger ship.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Re: No Man’s Sky : Now With Added Spoilers.

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:03 pm

After finding 250 words selecting the right option is getting easier...

Also completed my first world...

... though mining is still the best way to raise cash I think.

And is it just me or are the overbearing Sentinels eco warriors sent out by some long dead guardian reading human, who sent them out to protect the universe's flaura and fauna from money grubbing aliens.

And at the centre will be a giant recycling centre replete with a recycling bin for each periodic elements.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:44 pm

Well I have finally managed to get some solid play time in today and finally getting first equipment upgrades, 2 new multi tools in the period of an hour, though shortly after got stranded on a planet and unable to take off so went in search of plutonium which eventually managed to find in a cave.

So I wonder in happily harvesting away, go to leave and realise I actually lost my way spent the next 30 minutes wandering the cave, most likely in circles looking for an exit.

Found a few of those monolith sites as well, as well as some really nasty hostile planets which moved on from pretty quickly, doesn't feel like I have made a massive amount in the way of overall progression, hopefully the next couple of solar systems will turn up something new.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Have to say I rarely stray more than 90 seconds from my ship, my tactics are to fly everywhere and land at waypoint markers trading posts and monoliths with a little mining along way.

When I land I then run a scan (now have +4 which covers about 800m) if I spot a word or tech site then I move other wise on to the next one, I know this sounds rather dull and methodical but it covers a lot of ground and you need to, to find all the life forms as often their spread across the planet in different zones (I think, might be wrong on this not sure).

Been thinking about what Shadow said about not finding anything after hours to upgrade his suit, I think the cause is the math engine driving the game.

I'm now up to 31 storage units on my exosuit (the next will cost me 220k ouch!) and the reason I've found so many is because I've spent the last 9 hours on the same planet.

I think Hello designed the base algorithms on the assumption that most players will spend between 30m-1h on any one planet, you know land have a look around maybe visit one or two sites or pick up a few resources before moving on

So a reasonable number of sites of interest would have to spawn within that travel zone so that players wouldn't find the game boring.

:D this of course means RPG/OCD numptys like me can exploit this and break the game a bit.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

celery7

Post by celery7 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:18 pm

sleepery jeem wrote::lol: and so far on the one moon that sits beside Ca-coo-bree I've found an acid suit shield upgrade, cold shield and heat shield.

If I remember rightly I got two of them from chatting to Korvax traders (the ones that are on the large landing pads, the one you need to jetpack up two) in each case I coughed up the most expensive option given for a reward.

8) and have added 2 slots to my suit at 10 grand a time, look out for man sized pods like the little ones you find that are marked with the blue sprockets.

And after solving one of the numerical puzzles I got a waypoint to my first crashed ship....7h away at full speed...... :| ....thankfully Hello was smart enough to let you go on a sub-orbital drop to get there quicker with warp speed.

It would have been a real pain if you waypoints vanished when you left orbit...... :? though that might happen if you land on another planet....not testing it anyway.

I was asking about which initial race everyone got as I was wandering about placement and corresponding puzzles.

Seems to me there's three way the disposition of alien races would work...

1 : completely random, this due to the engine would place a mix universe wide.

2 : each race controls a set portion of space, an empire if you will.

3 : the onion, by that I mean three layers, the explorers the Korvax on the outside, the traders the Gek in the middle and finally the Vy'keen.

The idea being you start off exploring with the Korvax , then as you move to the centre you meet the Gek for heavy trading and finally the Vy'keen as you approach the centre for combat training.

Moving on to the puzzles, the numerical one seem to come in two types, finish the sequential sequence and the other multiply by the difference.

Is there any others ?.

Also the Korvax monoliths seems to be sciency in nature, in one I was told a swarm of nano machines had engulfed me and I was to offer (or not) my multi tool for examination.

Another was about staying home or exploring, so its seems to me by always pushing forward the Korvax will reward you.

So I was wondering will the Gek's be about trade deals/being generous or greedy, and the Vy'keen about being violent vs cowardly?.
On the races, I'm only a few hours in, I've visited a handful of planets and made a couple of jumps to other systems and I've only come across Gek. That's on planets, space stations, I've I try to buy a ship it'll be a Gek pilot. Any monoliths will only reference Gek and all words I've learnt likewise.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:37 pm

So it sounds like they inhabit certain areas of space then, so the question now is how big an area ?.

Will you only see your start out race or is it just mixed, so far I've only explored 2 systems and both have been Korvax.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:55 pm

Well After a lot of play on Sunday I finally managed to find a downed ship, Just a little better than the starter but that's more than enough for now.
Think I'm actually on my 4th or 5th system, the early ones just had nothing remarkable about them at all, but I think I have spent a good 4 hours on current planet, Which is pretty damn red, loads of vegetation and wildlife to explore but most importantly totally loaded with those cubes which sell for about 25k each.

Currently on trips between space station and planet in order to make loads of credits.
Only slight downside being as soon as you pick one up get Level 3 Sentinel wanted levels.
but with some smart dashing seems to get me clear of them quick enough.

Talking of which little tip, if you melee attack as your character lunges forward hit your jet pack and pulse it, if time it right you can get some good travel speed.