Bad rep for bad retailers

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
sleepery jeem

Re: Bad rep for bad retailers

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri May 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Reselling your digital games will soon be a reality, but what does that mean?

Feature : https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/11/17336 ... obot-cache
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri May 25, 2018 1:34 pm

Are game shops always more expensive than online?

Cause I might pick up Dark Souls tonight, I don't know. But I'm wondering if amazon is the only good option these days.
🌚

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Fri May 25, 2018 4:30 pm

I popped into Game (Newport, S Wales) today, didn't see Dark Souls or Detroit displayed anywhere obvious, I was just browsing generally, but their other prices were consistently more than online.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:34 pm

What happens over there finds it way here eventually...

Amazon has made an announcement regarding an Amazon Prime promotion on games. The 20% off pre-order discount has received two new limitations.

It now no longer applies to game remasters or rereleases.

Amazon’s 20% off pre-order discount already has a number of restrictions in place.

You must be a Prime member when you place the order and when it ships.

You can only buy one, and it must be ordered ahead of launch.

It also does not apply to collector’s editions, product bundles or toys-to-life items. With these new stipulations, it mean that games like Shenmue I & II HD, Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition and Spyro Reignited Trilogy would not qualify.

Amazon Prime is $99 per year.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:12 am

Interesting to note that No Man's Sky (PS4) has shot up in price at Game, no doubt due to the interest generated by the Xbox One release and latest update.

So what could have been yours just a couple of months ago for £14.99 new or £9.99 used is now £29.99 new or £22.99 used.

Is it bad rep, or market forces, or perhaps they're putting the PS4 alongside the Xbox One version as a 'new release' to unsuspecting punters.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:58 pm

Yeah I've noticed that, been going on ebay trying to get a cheap deal on NMS but they're all more expensive than I'd be willing to part with at the moment thanks to the recent update.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:45 pm

NMS is £14.99 on the PS Store if you don't mind digital

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 am

A strange story started circulating on Polygon overnight involving a man who attempted to resell a sealed copy of The Evil Within 2 as a “new” product on Amazon Marketplace. Bethesda’s law firm Vorys took issue with the listing, and threatened legal action against the individual. The company’s view is that there’s no way to tell that the product is in fact “new”, and thus it should be advertised as "pre-owned" – even though it’s never been opened or played.

This has of course prompted some people to get ratty on social media, with the publisher being accused of trying to shut down used game sales. According to the company’s senior vice president of marketing and communications Pete Hines, that’s not the case at all. “We're not trying to stop anybody from selling used games,” he told Eurogamer.net. “He, specifically, was trying to list it as a new product as if he was GameStop or Best Buy. He's not a company, he's not a distributor.”

The issue, in Bethesda’s eyes, seems to come down to the wording. “We don't want our customers buying stuff from a vendor like Amazon where they think they're buying a new product and suddenly finding out they got a disc that's been played, somebody kicked across the floor and scratched and ‘Oh they took out the insert that had the special items I was supposed to get for buying this.’” It’s a fair point, but there’s always a degree of trust that needs to be placed in the merchant when shopping on sites like eBay or Amazon Marketplace, and that’s why feedback systems exist.

“We are not trying to stop anybody selling a used game, we would never try and stop anybody from selling a used game. We do have an issue with people representing they are selling a new copy of the game when we have no ability to tell it is actually new, so we aren't going to allow somebody to say 'this is new'. If you want to sell your copy of the game, it's 'pre-owned'.”

Our view is that this is a total overreaction. A quick search reveals dozens upon dozens of sealed copies of The Evil Within 2 being as “new” on eBay right now, and we can’t imagine Bethesda’s lawyers will be contacting all of them. Maybe it hopes this action will operate as a deterrent; honestly, it feels like it’s just wasting its time and money to us.
:| dunno I kinda agree with Bethesda on this, there's always gonna be someone passing off old for new, and even just suing one guy might put off some dodgy dealers.

Otherwise it will end up as a gamble buying any games online.

Chinese UN Mission.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:39 pm

I think it’s fucking horrendous myself.

I’ve sold tons of new games still in their shrink wrap on eBay and never had any issues, it’s incredibly odd that Bethesda took issue with this one guy who was just trying to sell a game, absolutely disgusting.

I don’t buy their justification at all either, whilst it’s possible to re-shrink wrap used games you have to buy an expensive machine to do so and when you’re selling a game for £20-£30 or something who would actually bother?

Disgusting behaviour and Bethesda should be ashamed of themselves for justifying such heavy handed tactics.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Whilst this story makes the headlines I'd be surprised if it wasn't part of a wider trawl against unauthorised retailers.

We all see multiple copies of games turning up on auction sites (from the same seller) where they've perhaps exploited some retail special offer or misprice (or acquired them through more dubious means) and whilst it might seem a bargain to us, it affects the balance of normal business practice.

I'm guessing this is why the descriptors sometime say "as new" rather than "new" to make a subtle but perhaps important distinction. The whole 'it was sealed' arguement is moot, since I'd imagine it's the T&C's which are attached to the sale rather than the physical appearance which determines whether it can be sold 'new' (otherwise we'll end up debating the whole empty game box, disc in drawer issue).

I'm guessing that as an individual you're allowed to play and sell a game, but your not allowed to not play it then sell it 'new' - bit like how they make you unseal any games or DVDs in CEX/Game before you trade them in (hence they are unsealed/used).

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:54 pm

How was I able to sell 10+ brand new unwanted games on eBay then? (eBay’s own description of a ‘New’ game is in its original shrink wrap, if it’s not then you have to sell it ‘Like New’ in accordance to their T&C’s).

The only people against it are retailers like CeX and GAME and I understand that to a degree as they have their suspicions of theft but if you know it’s new and it’s in its original shrink wrap (you should be able to see PS/Xbox/Nintendo logos on the shrink wrap to verify) then there’s no issue selling it privately surely?

As soon as you buy a physical game it’s your property and you can do what you like with it. Bethesda can get fucked.
MFGamers Twitter

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Blakey wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:54 pm
As soon as you buy a physical game it’s your property and you can do what you like with it.
Erm, nope, that's (probably) the gaping flaw in your argument - there's a whole bunch of T&Cs which are attached to it, and you've usually agreed to them whether you know it or not. Often you're given a licence to use, rather than any actual 'ownership'*

Re - eBay : yep probably not the best example to use to support your argument of acceptable retail practice either :roll:

* As an extreme example I'm just waiting for the day the iTunes decides it's going to pull the plug and millions of users lose the music the thought they 'owned' too, bit like when older software disappears from an e-store and you mightn't be able to reload it anymore. Likewise what do you 'own' once the servers of your favourite MMO have been switched off?
Last edited by shinymcshine on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Are there? Prove it. I know there are EULA’s associated with piracy, mods and online practices etc. But as soon as you buy a physical game it’s your property, simple as.

I sell a lot of stuff on eBay, eBay’s T&C’s State a new game is one in its original shrink wrap, so if I’m selling a new game in its shrink wrap I will list it as such. If it has been unwrapped but otherwise new I’ll sell it as like new.

I wouldn’t be able to play and buy half the games I do without selling almost every one after I’m finished with them and selling the games I get as unwanted Black Friday purchases or games I get from Playtesting for EA.

Well yeah, that’s digital licenses, whole different kettle of fish. I’m purely talking about physical games only here.

The bottom line is a publisher should not be threatening customers that own your games like that with lawsuits, you cannot in any way think that’s an acceptable practice, surely? It’s unheard of in the industry, even the likes of EA etc. Have never pulled a stunt like that, it’s absurd.
MFGamers Twitter

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Honestly, I don't know if you're hopelessly naive or just arguing for the sake of it.

Every game regardless of being a physical or digital copy has a bunch of T&C's which you agree to in order to use it. Get out a 360 game (or anything with a manual, or read the small print that pops up before a title screen) and it'll be in there.

Pretty much every book has a similar waiver about ownership and resale too, and whilst book publishers, as with software publishers, usually allow resale into the secondhand market, you've agreed to their conditions of sale, and they could strenuously enforce them if they chose to.

Just because you claim ignorance doesn't mean it's not right.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:07 pm

I’m neither naive or arguing for the sake of it. I feel very strongly that huge multinational corporations shouldn’t be allowed to bully and dictate that people can’t sell 1 physical copy of a game. If he was selling 50 sealed copies I could completely understand but this was 1 dude selling 1 game, what’s the big deal?

I got my copy of Dynasty Warriors 8 XL out and took some photos of the T&C’s. One page was related to 90 day disc warranty and another was general PS4 Health and Safety information and piracy:

Nowhere in there does it say ‘if you sell this game on and it’s in its shrink wrap don’t sell it as new’ or has any wording about resale at all.
MFGamers Twitter