The Currently Playing Thread...

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Shadowman

Re: The Currently Playing Thread...

Post by Shadowman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Maryokutai wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:43 pm
So the new and improved battle system in AC Origins is basically this game reaching the depth of your standard 3D action from about 15 years ago by having a light and a strong attack as well as a dodge roll.

It looks really pretty though.
That'll be a pass from me then. I can't imagine that not still being pretty clunky to play. But it does indeed look nice, I think I can bare to wait to play this one for a while yet.

Anyway, not played as much Mario as I'd wanted over the weekend as Yakuza has a vice grip on me. Even though I've completed the original game 4 times already somehow I'm absolutely loving playing it through yet again via Kiwami. I guess the extra activities sure help though, plus the side stories are getting better the further into the game I get, and my combat has evolved from simple attacks to some pretty awesome combos, counters and heat moves.

Also been putting time in on Undertale (finished the game on all three endings) and the final boss on Genocide difficulty is just as tough as its made out to be. Still beat him in the end though!

Working through Ys Chronicles now - finished Ys I (loved it) and now working on the sequel which is more of the same (in the best kind of way) and with more of a difficulty spike to it - you can't walk all over enemies this time, they actually prove to be a challenge. Not sure if I'll play the third game or Origins next...

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:07 pm

It's better than previous AC battle system but considering how awful they were before that's not saying much. It works and it's not as boring as before but I'd probably recommend going the stealthy route to avoid having to fight too often.

I've only played an hour or so mind and there's a huge skill tree that's partly fighting related so maybe you can add some depth after a bunch of level-ups. Still going to finish Elex and Mario before properly getting into this though.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:22 pm

I really want to buck the trend and play the new AC on Xbox but I can’t bring my self to do it. Marketing be damned.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Doesn't Microsoft have some marketing deal on this one? In any case it looks really great on Xbox. Makes you wonder why people would spend money on X or a Pro fr that matter.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:14 am

AC: Origins thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37836&start=30

Also, I believe a standard PS4 still runs AC:O at a higher resolution than a standard XBOne.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... e-analysis
The days of the 900p parity between base PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in AC titles are over. Dynamic resolution is deployed on all systems, and this produces large variations in results: the standard PS4 spends most of its time at native 1080p, with just small drops beneath, while Xbox One is more aggressive with its scaling - we've only had limited time with the Microsoft code so far, but we've noted 792p, 864p and 900p pixel-counts.
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Elex.
8) only two things are guaranteed to survive an apocalypse, cockroaches and stripper poles...

Whilst not as detailed as say the books in the Oblivion series i'd say Elex is on par with Fallout for background story telling....

From diary's from the past to audio logs and messages there's a lot to read and listen to flesh things out, liked this one ...

:lol: the EPIC poem is actually a stat sheets I found on six skeleton's that faced the apocalypse playing Dungeons and Dragons.
"Make the Left Hate again"

Paolo Gerbaodo : Kings College London.

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 pm

Took a break from Mario and Yakuza today to start clearing out some of my digital backlog:
Sonic Mania - second playthrough done. All emeralds collected, true final boss defeated, and for good measure I got all the silver blue sphere medals. Can't be assed with the gold ones though.

Mother Russia Bleeds - A fantastic brawler that has a wonderfully grim graphical style. Its hurt slightly due to enemies that take years to kill, and some lackluster bosses. But its still a brilliant and short game in the Streets of Rage mold.

Hellblade - Started this one tonight, definitely want to be playing it with headphones, makes a world of difference. Looks amazing and while the combat is pretty basic its still very hard hitting and "cinematic" in a sense. Fights are just short enough that combat doesn't drag. The illusion puzzles I cleared were well designed and I can't wait to visit the next area.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Jetpack+ bow = :D

Trooooooool...

:? all getting a bit alien now...

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:48 am

Keep those Elex gifs coming. Looks really nice, if I had more free time on my hands I'd probably pick it up!

Anyway, managed to finish Hellblade tonight. Quite the ride going through the game, the combat right at the end of the game gets pretty crazy with a ton of enemies attacking you at once, the bridge battle before the end boss was pretty nuts, still impressed I managed to get through that fight first time... Loved the mix of combat, exploration and puzzles in the game. Story was ace and the side stories via the lore stones were worth a listen to. Graphically its almost as amazing as its made out to be, with just the second area I visited (land o fire) seemingly unimpressive - didn't help that I felt the fire corridor bits in that area weren't all that great to play, far to simple and really no threat at all. Bar the boss fight of that area I'd say its probably the weakest part of the game, mainly because the rest of the game is so darn strong.

Not sure which indie/digital title I'll go through next, but first things first - tomorrow I'll finish off Yakuza Kiwami (again).

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Elex.

One of the unique things about this game is that its a persistent world, that is to say that unlike Skyrim what is in the world in terms of Loot is all your gonna get.

There are exceptions of course plants regrow over time and animals keep spawning, but that's it no favourite dungeon that you can revisit time and time again on loot runs.

This does mean I find myself scouring the map for loot with almost maniacal glee :oops: but it does turn up the odd surprise...

This NPC was tucked away far from a road and the only reason I stumbled on him was that I spotted a plant, that led to a corpse, that led to a mutant that led to him.

He was so happy I killed the beast I got a cash thank you, I would have missed this mini event if I had stuck to the mission, I also came across my first Easter Egg this way as well.

Pretty sure this is Gimli...

:twisted: first Flame thrower....well Flame bomber more like...

Finally whilst not the prettiest of games it does give a sense of scale well...

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Breath of the Wild you just climb that shit. It ain’t nothin’ :wink:

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:22 pm

:lol: luddite I have a jetpack, climb :roll:

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:36 am

:? think this is an Easter Egg just not sure for what, the Aliens in GTA5 maybe..

:lol: first time I've found a weed farm in a video game, just say no kids...

regemond

Post by regemond » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:24 am

sleepery jeem wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:36 am
Far Cry 3 says hi...

You get to set fire to it with a flamethrower and the fumes make you high. That one was fun!

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:59 am

regemond wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:24 am
sleepery jeem wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:36 am
Far Cry 3 says hi...

You get to set fire to it with a flamethrower and the fumes make you high. That one was fun!
GTA San Andreas says hi!