Doom 2016

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
shinymcshine

Re: Doom 4

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:22 am

therealjaxon wrote:Yeah, I got that from the small amount I played it. Which is quite exaggerated from what DOOM was originally I think.
That the slight disappointment from the original games, where the creeping anticipation of hearing a Cacodemon around an approaching corner is lost in the frantic nature of this games endless surge.

:cry: had to turn the difficulty down too as death and reloading time was detracting from the fun bits
Last edited by shinymcshine on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

therealjaxon
Location: Starfish Island. Hey, wait a minute....starfish ha ha! - I get it!!

Post by therealjaxon » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:26 am

Yeah, the early games were about the tense atmosphere and the discovery for me.
I'll get back into it in the new year I think.
Twitter: XtherealjaxonX
Argue ye not with fanboys lest ye become a fanboy 8)

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:53 am

The more I play this the better it gets.

It feels a bit like the Tomb Raider reboot (minus QTE) - go on a killing frenzy, clear the area, then examine map for pickups and secrets. Surprisingly there's quite a bit of platforming too in some sections.

I'm still finding the challenge OK even with the drop in difficulty level, although in the multi monster / mini boss areas I tend to only find the power-up (berserk, quad damage etc) once I've cleared the area... :oops:

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:37 am

The Argent Energy Tower

Oh boy, it took me so long to finish this level, reached a point near the top where I had no idea how to ascend any further, I'd tried numerous leaps of faith, recovered old ground, been down the lift shaft (nice weapon there) but couldn't find any way up.

Eventually had to check an online guide - oh....... I'd never thought about (SPOILER --- shooting the lift brakes ....) :oops:

therealjaxon

Post by therealjaxon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:44 am

Ha, clever :D

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:03 am

The thing is - I was almost put off continuing with the game as the early levels just seemed like it was just going to be a high speed mindless shooter.

It really does develop well, and the exploration is really nice and challenging (if you want to find all those secrets). In addition there are bonus areas too (triggered by runes) which are optional, but completion gives you a nice extra - again each challenge needs a thoughtful approach in order to complete it within a tight timescale.

I'm only in the first half of the game still, but I'm beginning to understand why it might be thought of as a GOTY contender.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:08 am

Pretty sure I'm approaching the end of the campaign game, just finished the Vega Central Processing level.

Its still great, and challenging enough on easy level that its fun but not frustrating. Might do a bit of backtracking to find the secrets from the earlier levels which I'd missed, and so far I've only pulled a few levers to open up the classic maps (the levers don't seem to appear as secrets on my upgraded map).

One thing I do feel guilty about is not bothering to listen to the holotapes/storyline - its Doom FFS not a multilayered RPG.

therealjaxon

Post by therealjaxon » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:15 pm

Yeah, I'd probably be like you, I don't read things like that either, even in Fallout!

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:55 pm

Credits rolling on completion of my first play though.

Overall it was great!

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:02 am

DOOM Update 5 Patch Notes Detailed – Bots and New Gamemode Added to Multiplayer

DOOM update 5 is hitting PC today, and Bethesda has given the full details, including the addition of bots to multiplayer. This update is completely free for those who own the game, adding more content and fun to the experience, at no additional charge. Below are the full DOOM Update 5 multiplayer patch notes, so check them out for all of the changes.

“Multiplayer: Added new game mode, Infernal Run. Teams fight to obtain the ball and score in the opponent’s goal. Added Bots for multiplayer. Bots are available on original multiplayer maps in Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch game modes. Increased the maximum level cap to Echelon 11, level 50. Added the DOOM Marine Armor (Praetor Suit) as unlockable perk for achieving maximum multiplayer level cap. Resolved an issue where rapid controller input caused unusually high shotgun damage.

Snapmap, the map creation tools built into DOOM, will also see a bunch of changes and additions. These include: “You can now play as the DOOM Marine in Praetor Suit Armor. Added over 30 Lazarus Lab–themed modules. Added Lazarus Lab–themed props. Improved Object Limits. Persistent Integer variables that can be passed between missions within a campaign.” But there are many more. Click here to read about all of them.
"Make the Left Hate again"

Paolo Gerbaodo : Kings College London.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:09 am

I've got 20gb free space on my HDD but I got a message that I've not got enough free space for that latest patch.

therealjaxon

Post by therealjaxon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:03 am

Really?! Surely this update or any update can be 20gb??

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Dunno - the original game install (PS4) is something like 50+ Gb, so I wonder whether it needs all that in free space plus whatever the patch needs in order to do the install (bit like what the iOS updates use to need). Anyway if its all multiplayer stuff then I'm not bothered about missing out.

therealjaxon

Post by therealjaxon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:23 pm

Same here.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:44 pm

:D

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/12/08/doom ... ech-denuvo

Great news. Now I can play the game if my internet connection dies lol

I'm cool with developers/publishers taking measures to protect their work/investment/IPs whatever but Denuvo is horribly punishing to people who actually buy these things.

Now fix the fucking Windows Store Microsoft. Gears 4 is great but the DRM loops are a major bum note :evil: