The Yakuza Franchise |OT| Mr. Libido & Pocket Racer (SPOILER WARNING)

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
sleepery jeem

Re: The Yakuza Franchise |OT| Mr. Libido & Pocket Racer (SPOILER WARNING)

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Yakuza 6’s RTS minigame Clan Creator detailed, character codes announced

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/09 ... announced/
"Make the Left Hate again"

Paolo Gerbaodo : Kings College London.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Yakuza 3, Played and Reviewed by real yakuza

https://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:35 pm
Yakuza 3, Played and Reviewed by real yakuza

https://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html
I've read this many times before. And no matter how many times I read it, the quote about the orphanage will never stop being funny! Its a really interesting read, to see that the team managed to make a (romanticised) version of the Yakuza that is still somewhat accurate to the real thing.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:44 am

Unsurprisingly, another 4 hours on this earlier, 29 total.

Spent most of my time chatting up Hostesses really, spent about 500k Yen on them to get them both up to A rank which unlocks a 'steamy moment'  if you remember the sexy video parlour from Y0 then you know what to expect here, some sexy ladies writhing about on a bed in some negligees.

Levelled up my Majima rank to the verge of A now, have to meet him at a night club when I get back in the game tomorrow to have the 'title fight' up to Rank A. Definitely getting much harder, his break-dancing style is the hardest to fight for me, I go into Rush so I can easily dodge about but he's got so many attacks coming from everywhere I have to back off quite a lot and get him when he's finished a combo.

The story has picked up pace quite a bit, you finally see the scene where Nishiki snaps, stops taking shit from people and starts being the arsehole he is now. There's also a Time Crisis-style on-rails section where you're riding along in a car (think 0 had a bit like that in it as well) that was a nice change of pace. But yeah, I'm up to Chapter 10 now, I've heard this game is quite short so I'm probably 2/3 of the way through I'm guessing, and it still feels like I'm being introduced to new antagonist forces behind the scenes one by one and Kiryu has still only had that one scene at the bar with Nishiki.

Didn't do much else really, finally had enough cards to continue the MesuKing mini-game side-quests and that's about it really, sold some Ruby/Gold Plates I'd got in my item box and now have about 1.8 million Yen not played any Pool or Mahjong yet so that may be on the cards tomorrow.
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:37 pm

So Sega has released its TGS schedule, unsurprisingly we'll be seeing more of Kiwami 2, RGG Online and FOTNS. Can't wait to see more of all 3, especially gameplay/playspots on Kiwami 2 to see just how much has improved since 6.

Also, right at the end of 0 now. The last few boss fights have been rather epic, and in a couple of cases (with Reina's QTE's) really funny. Also cool to see how Majima is becoming more unhinged all over again. Can't wait to do the finale, might save that for tomorrow, going to need a few hours to get through that. Just one heat move left as well for the whole set. But that requires someone pulling a gun on Majima, which strangely has not happened yet. Should hopefully happen in the finale...

Then its off to get the other 15% odd I have left for 100% completion. Should be fun (well, except the cat fighting).

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:40 pm

MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:03 pm

And that is Yakuza 0 finished. Gotta hand it to the RGG team, they can build up a (final) boss fight like no other team can. One on one boss fights in Yakuza frequently feel more "epic" than other games/genres with higher stakes despite them just being about two shirtless guys beating the crap out of each other! Just wish the difficulty on some of the earlier bosses were easier, but that's really a minor complaint when the rest of the game is so good.

Story was just as good as I'd remembered, its a brilliant prequel or starting point in the series, and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into Kiwami sooner rather than later (mainly so I can then get stuck into Kiwami 2 in December). Just got 10% worth of stuff left on the challenge list for my 100% trophy. Shouldn't really take me all that long I think.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:37 am

Finished Kiwami earlier, took me 33 hours to clock it, had 51% completion in the end.

Didn't really run out of things to do as such but I kind of ran out of things I wanted to do. Majima everywhere just ended up a bit annoying at the end, he was everywhere and had a ridiculous amount of health bars, managed to get him up to S rank but getting him to SSS (the highest rank I think?) would've been a chore I just couldn't be arsed with.

The story was pretty cool, wasn't blown away by it and it was very similar to some of the previous games in the series, but yeah, it definitely had some twists and turns in there I didn't see coming and some of the revelations at the end were pretty shocking, quite emotional too at times.

I think my main complaint with the story was how inconsistent it is, it feels like Chapters 4 to 9 were all side-stories of Kiryu rescuing various friends/family members' relatives around Kamurocho with a slow drip-feed of Nishiki scenes (which are fantastic to be fair) to keep the ongoing brooding throughout. It feels like you get almost 90% of the plot in the first 4 and last 3 chapters really with the middle ones just left to Kiryu cleaning up messes around town, there's key antagonist reveals, sombre harrowing moments and certain characters true motives revealed all in the last chapter, hell, there's one antagonist that you only see for the first time in the final chapter and only gets mentioned 3-4 times throughout the entirety of the game before you meet him, meaning there's not really any build-up to it, you don't recognise him or anything it's like 'oh this dude looks like he means business' when he turns up instead of 'you bastard!'.

The final fight against Nishiki is by far the most rewarding, it's definitely the toughest and most heart-wrenching too considering all the time spent with him as 'brothers' in 0 and this ongoing thread throughout Kiwami of how he turned into a major arsehole, Kiryu finally tolling out some justice on his arse in the end.

Despite by complaints about the inconsistent story I still really enjoyed it overall. There's just really nothing like this series, I just adore spending time in Kamurocho and soaking up the atmosphere, the zany nature of 0 is only present through a handful of side-quests and the Majima Everywhere stuff but you still get a taste of it. It's just much more toned down and more like the Dev's have thrown you a zany bone in a more serious (former) entry rather than the full-on batshit crazy antics of 0.

0 is by far and away the better game, but if you've played 0 and want to see how certain characters end up then Kiwami is definitely worth playing. For newcomers to the series I recommend starting on 0 rather than this. Kiwami is almost too faithful to the original game at times and feels a bit dated in terms of mission structure and story, I hope with Kiwami 2 they deviate a bit more from the source material and spice things up a bit.
MFGamers Twitter

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:27 am

Sega has released a video of the upcoming Yakuza 2 remake Yakuza Kiwami 2, featuring four returning characters and their voice actors, who will also provide their likeness for the role..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdDGzuLa-jM

The video doesn’t really show gameplay, but it gives a glimpse on cutscenes and heavily features the actors themselves, giving us a chance to familiarizing ourselves with the new faces and voices, which all appear to be perfect for the roles. As usual, Sega doesn’t skimp on talent.
"Make the Left Hate again"

Paolo Gerbaodo : Kings College London.

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 am

sleepery jeem wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:27 am
Sega has released a video of the upcoming Yakuza 2 remake Yakuza Kiwami 2, featuring four returning characters and their voice actors, who will also provide their likeness for the role..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdDGzuLa-jM

The video doesn’t really show gameplay, but it gives a glimpse on cutscenes and heavily features the actors themselves, giving us a chance to familiarizing ourselves with the new faces and voices, which all appear to be perfect for the roles. As usual, Sega doesn’t skimp on talent.
Sweet, going to give that a watch later :mrgreen:

I've put another 10ish hours into 0, pushed my completion rate up to 95%. Working on my weapons modding at the moment, got some pretty strong/crazy weapons unlocked now for my Amon battles!

@Blakey - Kiwami kinda shows its age in terms of source material at times. I still really love it, but in some ways its quite inferior to the newer games in the series. 0 especially kinda shows up just how much the series has evolved in terms of story, gameplay and pacing. I'm not too concerned about 2 though, bar one point where the game does go off in a almost side story path its fairly consistent (helped no doubt thanks to Ryuji being a constant thread).

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:51 pm

Shadowman wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 am

@Blakey - Kiwami kinda shows its age in terms of source material at times. I still really love it, but in some ways its quite inferior to the newer games in the series. 0 especially kinda shows up just how much the series has evolved in terms of story, gameplay and pacing. I'm not too concerned about 2 though, bar one point where the game does go off in a almost side story path its fairly consistent (helped no doubt thanks to Ryuji being a constant thread).
Yeah completely agree. Glad to hear 2 is more consistent on the story front for sure.

Also, has anyone ordered anything from Solaris Japan before? Thinking about buying a few pre-owned copies of older RGG games in the series from there.

I know a lot of you guys have recommended Nippon Yasan to me before so may go with them instead, but the prices aren't quite as good as Solaris.
MFGamers Twitter

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:18 am

I've not used Solaris myself. I've only used Nippon Yasan and Ami Ami (and eBay of course!)

Anyway, 99.20% done on Yakuza 0. Not I'm just short one damn fish, a couple of KO's with Majima's 4th style and beating the Amon's. Can't find any conclusive info on what fish I need (as Japanese names vary greatly to the English ones) so I'm reinstalling my Japanese copy and looking it up through there!
*edit* Fish all caught, David Diabol has been defeated in the arena and all other objectives have been cleared leaving only both Amon fights left. Its show time!

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:09 pm

And that's that done. Amon's are both down, all side stories done and 100% completion achieved. Only took me 126 hours! Time to clean up the pile of games I have to play before hitting Kiwami which should take me less time (so that I can play Kiwami 2 in December as soon as it arrives!).

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Completed the main story on Kiwami, Ranked up Majima to SSS but still need to unlock 3 more abilities in Dragon Style.
Just Amon to go in Sub Stories.

As far as the Completion list goes I just have to Play through most of the Mini Games.
Not sure will 100% it as some of the gambling I recall being a bit Grindy.

For those who want to rank up Majima Easily I suggest unlocking all Komaki Abilities first to unlock the Komaki Tiger Drop, Even at SSS level you can wipe out Majimas health in a hand full of attacks.

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Yeah, tiger drop is always the answer for whatever the problem is in a Yakuza game! It makes many fights way easier once you nail the timing of the move down.

I spent part of yesterday playing the cat fighting mini game in 0, and I noticed that there are actual patterns to the AI opponents, the problem is just figuring them out. Only trophy I'm short now is the Legend trophy but I'll get that another time. With Kiwami 1 and 2 to play through I won't be replaying any Yakuza titles this year just for one trophy!