Dark Souls

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
maf-me-quick

Re: Dark Souls

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri May 25, 2018 9:40 pm

I hit a brick wall with this game relatively fast. I can sort of go wherever I want, but when I get there I get my ass kicked. I’ve just killed that big Hydra thing in the Darkroot Basin. I’m level 25 :?

The Drake Sword helps a tonne. Maybe I can kill the Fire Spider lady with this? But I need better armour because she’s still going to blow me away if she hits me twice. The only reason I died on my first attempt is because she hit me once, I rolled away, but into some lava on the floor and done.

I don’t know. When I played this first time I remember getting to lots and lots of hurdles despite that I was constantly powering up. Now because, in theory, I know how to do a lot of it, I know the answers to the hurdles but because I’m getting by so quick I’m not getting stronger.

I think the answer is armour. I don’t want to grind forever and just keep levelling myself up it will take too long. Maybe the answer is to research armour, work for that and let that compensate for my pitiful defences.

Hmm...

Noozles

Post by Noozles » Fri May 25, 2018 9:45 pm

The Drake sword is fine until you reach blightown. Sadly, it doesn't scale with your stats, like most other weapons so it sort of doesn't matter what level you are, the drake sword will hit hard for the start of the game. I tend to have a halberd set up to go beyond drake sword damage before heading to blightown....

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri May 25, 2018 9:50 pm

I remember someone saying the Halberd was really good. I have tonnes of Titanite shards. Maybe I just grind souls and level that thing up until it surpasses the Drake Sword, then.

Any advice for good shields and fire resistant stuff?

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Fri May 25, 2018 9:53 pm

Winged spear? It might work with your poking style.

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri May 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Spec dex. If you didn't spec dex this is why you are doing bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjSbwkzO_58

Image Image

(Anyone find the camera just makes you queasy or something, I find it hard to look at this game)
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri May 25, 2018 10:05 pm

Lol

that’s cheaper than the way I’m playing!

Noozles

Post by Noozles » Sat May 26, 2018 9:48 am

If you can get to Blightown with a +6 halberd (and the rusted iron ring), you can farm the leaches for Large Titanite Shards.... takes a little while but it will mean you enter the queelag fight with a +10 weapon, will make the fight much easier... I didn't really worry with fire damage in this fight, shields, I tend to stick to a 100% physical block shield...

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat May 26, 2018 11:01 am

I’ve been focusing on getting my Pyromancy up. I managed to get it to +10 and even then I did beat the Gaping Dragon really easily but it still wasn’t doing mega amounts of damage. All 8 fireballs did about, under 50% I would say. I tried experimenting if it gets stronger if the faith stat is higher? Mine is rank C so if I got it to 20 maybe my fire magic would do more.

Regardless, with my souls for beating the gaping dragon I went and bought the big Fireball spell so now I should have 14 fire balls to throw around and 6 of them are supposedly more powerful so help that makes things easier. The depths were pretty scary but it’s actually not that deep when you find the route.

Also I had a Halberd at +5 like suggested but don’t know how to level it up any further than that.

Noozles

Post by Noozles » Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am

There's a large ember at the start of the depths, guarded by a butcher. Once you beat him he doesn't come back. From memory, once you beat him and pick up the ember, you can fall down a hole behind him. In this room is the spider shield which is a pretty good shield.
Give the large ember to the blacksmith and that will allow ascension to +10

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat May 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Fuk

Noozles

Post by Noozles » Sat May 26, 2018 5:04 pm

Bowlocks....

Still, thats the best area in the game.... love Anor Londo

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat May 26, 2018 5:17 pm

You, my friend, are nuts. You know who dwells here.

However, this is where I have my revenge. The reason I’ve building up all these god damn fireballs. I’m going to destroy both of them. The fat one first.

Noozles

Post by Noozles » Sat May 26, 2018 5:35 pm

First time I played it, got stuck in Blightown for what felt like months.... Anor Londo felt like a breath of fresh air.... but yes... O&S... I even bought a t shirt with them adorning the chest....

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat May 26, 2018 5:44 pm

Blight Town wasn’t too bad for me. I didn’t die on it, but I found this fucking bridge that when you walk on it it sways from left to right and really freaked me out. I think even though that area is much, much improved because of the stable frame rate (Didn’t miss one jump or fall) the sharper image of a picture that wasn’t built to match made spotting the ladders really difficult.

Also I’ve set the brightness to max and still can’t see anything in the dark. Not in areas that seem intentionally dark. Just my TV don’t give a fuk. If it’s black it’s like staring into an abyss which makes all parts of this game hard.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat May 26, 2018 6:45 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:17 pm
The fat one first.
You should go for the thin one first Maf, you get access to better stuff.