Nier / Nier : Automata.

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Blakey

Re: Nier / Nier : Automata.

Post by Blakey » Wed May 24, 2017 8:05 pm

I really want to do everything and I know that the 3rd playthroughs on is 'new', it's just replaying the entire game as 9S, having to unlock everything all over again etc. That fills be with dread, I'll see how I feel at the end of Playthrough 1 and go from there.
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed May 24, 2017 8:08 pm

You don't have to unlock everything again, you keep your weapons/levels etc.

But yeah route b was my least favourite.

I didn't really do many sidequests but then the difficulty spiked massively in route c so ended up doing a lot of that on easy

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 pm

Ah ok, that doesn't sound too bad then, if I mainline the 2nd playthrough and skip the side-quests it'll probably be much quicker, see how I feel when the credits roll on Ending 1.

Few pics too:

MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Thu May 25, 2017 10:48 pm

Another 3 hours played earlier, 11 total.

Upgraded one of my spears, bought a broadsword and upgraded one of the starter swords too, haven't had any trouble with enemies today, but then I have been playing on Easy 

Can't believe I'd been traipsing across the map numerous times for side quests etc. then I did a bit more of the story today and almost immediately unlocked fast-travel  f*ck's sake, I knew there should be a fast-travel system in there

The story has been hella weird, I ventured down into the bunker and into some Alien spacecraft where I encountered the human-looking machines (who also look suspiciously like the dudes from the original Nier) built by the machines that killed their Alien masters. 

A ton of side-quests later and I was sent into an abandoned shopping mall, an enchanted forest and a overgrown castle, talk about eclectic! What a bloody strange world/city this is, it almost feels Souls like how it all fits together and with the side-scrolling in the castle it was reminiscent of Metroidvania style games to a certain degree.

I get the feeling that I'm encountering choices that'll come back to bite me in the arse later on in the game, when you have to kill the missing YorHa units I felt really guilty killing them, I mean I know they're only Androids but I still felt guilty that I was killing my fellow YorHa fighters. The same with when you encounter A2 at the end of the Castle, it felt really strange that I was ordered to kill her straight away and then Command kept the reasons 'confidential' as to why she was a fugitive in the first place. 

Bloody odd, I've felt from the beginning of the game there's something off with the Human council and YorHa as a whole, and that the humans haven't exactly been truthful with their Androids about the Machines and what they're really like.

It has such an ethereal quality to it at times, the enchanted forest area almost felt like a dream-world lost in this cityscape, the music really adds to this illusion too as it really is incredible almost all the time, making each area feel new and distinctive.

Few pics:

Last edited by Blakey on Fri May 26, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFGamers Twitter

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri May 26, 2017 7:53 am

If you're hung up about side-quests there is a way later on to re-visit stuff you have missed. It's not until much later however but I reckon you aren't into completing 100% this game anyway. If you're playing it all on easy then I don't think you need to do sidequests. As far as I could see Easy mode is the 'I hate sidequests mode' (which is why I dropped down to it for a while on route C).

Some people do say however that there's some very good stories hidden in the sidequests. I missed all that unfortunately.

When you do complete the game or stop playing you should look up a guy called Klemps on youtube, he has retrospectives/lore dumps on Nier, Nier Automata and the Drakengard games (the first Drakengard is important at least, the other two aren't).

Kind of confused btw about the dualshock inputs on that screenshot, thought you were playing this on PC :?

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Fri May 26, 2017 11:00 am

Think he has a mod running which makes the pc think a Duelshock 4 is an Xbox 360 controller.... :?:

Hope that's correct... pc gaming is so convoluted.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri May 26, 2017 11:37 am

Oh, ok.

If anyone wants a pre-Automata lore-dump Patrick Klepek wrote up this article with video links: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article ... ch-up-asap

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Fri May 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Yeah Nag's right, using DS4Windows to use the DS4 on my PC and then installed a mod (you can find it by googling) which gives you the DualShock buttons instead of the standard xbox ones. I'm usually fine using the xbone controller, but for some reason I just 'felt' this game would be better suited to the DS4 and I was right.

Some of the side-quests were really cool and I'm glad I did most of them, it's just the traipsing around the map that really did my head in, but that was partly down to my own stupidity in ignoring the story and not unlocking fast travel :lol:

Finished off Route A today and enjoyed it a lot, SO much bombast and spectacle, couldn't help but be amazed by the scale of the enemies and the number of projectiles coming at me, pretty much a shoot-em-up at times!

Played the first 90 minutes of Route B as well and just reached the Amusement Park (again).
MFGamers Twitter

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri May 26, 2017 8:00 pm

This surpassed sales projections for Square Enix.

That's really neat, now make that Nier prequel. Or give Platinum a go at making a good Drakengard game

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Fri May 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Very pleased it did well, we need more games like this.
MFGamers Twitter

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Fri May 26, 2017 11:27 pm

As mentioned in a previous post, day off today so had a longer session than usual.

6 hours earlier, 17 total.

Some of the side-quests were really cool and I'm glad I did most of them, it's just the traipsing around the map that really did my head in, but that was partly down to my own stupidity in ignoring the story and not unlocking fast travel

Finished off Route A today and enjoyed it a lot, SO much bombast and spectacle, couldn't help but be amazed by the scale of the enemies and the number of projectiles coming at me, pretty much a shoot-em-up at times! Was a bit emotional at the end as well with 2B cradling 9S, definitely felt something there and a fondness for both of them but didn't cry or shed tears at all.

The plot-line was really weird, I mean I can understand how Adam and Eve are brothers and that they look like Humans and the folks from the original Nier (as far as I've seen) but I'm unsure as to how they really fit into the wider scheme of things beyond brainwashing a lot of the machines to fight for them.

It seems at the end that 9S is now in charge of the machines, and has turned them friendly so I guess from Route C on (assuming we're playing as A2) they're going to be much more affable than aggressive, but I may be wrong.

Played the first 90 minutes of Route B as well and just reached the Amusement Park (again). It was cool seeing the opening from an entirely different perspective, I did enjoy the rigmarole of going through the defences in a flight unit with 9S at the start of the game, but having to repeat the same weapons dealer missions etc. at the Resistance Camp once I reached the city ruins wasn't so fun. I get weird Projector-style cutscenes every once in a while too about machine gods and certain machine's making shapes that resemble treasures or some shit, no idea what any of that means at the moment.

Lots of pics:

MFGamers Twitter

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat May 27, 2017 7:09 pm

That fourth pic is Kaine's hut from Nier 1.

Never unlocked that bit, anyway that's cool.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sat May 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Yeah, I watched the first 90 minutes of the original NieR 'movie' on YT last night and immediately recognised it, Nier's voice was instantly recognisable as Sojima from P5 too :lol:
MFGamers Twitter

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun May 28, 2017 7:52 pm

If you're 'watching' Nier make sure to watch Drakengard's E ending as well! It's basically the genesis of Nier. It's fucking wild.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon May 29, 2017 12:22 am

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 7:52 pm
If you're 'watching' Nier make sure to watch Drakengard's E ending as well! It's basically the genesis of Nier. It's fucking wild.
Haha cheers, will do when I'm done with the Nier movie.

Squeezed in 2 hours earlier, finished off Route B and made a start on Route C.

Really liked Route B, didn't think I was going to but I had a lot of fun with it, the early sections after the Prologue were a bit of a drag but once I got past those parts and into the bits where 9S' story fills in the blanks of 2B's, then it's fantastic.

Some great revelations in there, felt more for 9S because of it and there's some really eye-opening revelations in the story, all the hacking mini-games and finding out the truth behind YorHa are really intriguing, felt like a sleuth going through the files in the Bunker towards the end, shocking revelation that the whole 'humanity's on the moon' stuff is a complete and utter lie, basically a Santa Claus-like tale to give the YorHa androids a cause to fight for, really clever.

Started Route C and was hit with some more crazy shit and revelations, all the YorHa troops turning against you was really weird, having to mow down hundreds of them was an odd feeling. When 2B gets infected and you have to slowly make your way over to try to get cured, then she gets killed by A2 as she gets fully taken over by the Virus, shocking stuff but I didn't feel that bad as 2B had been turned into a maniac anyway. Wasn't expecting a choice between 9S and A2 after that, chose A2 and she has SO much sass, just her talking to the Pod when it keeps repeating it needs a mission parameter over and over and seeing her get more pissed every time was great.

So yeah, I'm still enjoying it a lot, felt a bit aimless at times in Route C so far and I'm not sure where things are going with the story yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing how things end up, it's sure to be fucking crazy I know that.

Last edited by Blakey on Mon May 29, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFGamers Twitter