MMORPG News Featuring : Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn.

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Bilge Rat

Re: Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn.

Post by Bilge Rat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:29 am

One-armed dwarf wrote:Oh boy, that stuff was really terrible when I played it.

Some really cool trials now and again but absolute turd for the other 95 missions or so. Heavensward was really good though, I enjoyed the story content in that much more than the pretty boring 2.0-2.5 stuff.

Download tons of podcasts.
I have loads of videos on my PVR so that should help me get through it. Then again, so far this morning I still haven't got past quest 3...

I hate when the game makes you traipse across the length of the world just to string everything out that little bit more. It made me talk to some guy in Costa Del Sol, who immediately just told me to go to Wineport, which requires paying for a a boat ride and another minute or so of running. There is no need. I think my favourite part of the main story was when I got to stay in the Central Highlands for an extended period without being forced to take airships all over the place.
Last edited by Bilge Rat on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:58 pm

Waking Sands straight to Mor Dhona, straight to Southern Thanalan, queue for compulsory dungeon, straight back to Mor Dhona. This game is deliberately trying to piss me off now.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:29 pm

Do you use teleport?
🌚

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:46 pm

Teleport is expensive. I haven't been playing for long so I am not all that clear on the value of money but I know that if I just teleported every time that I needed to get somewhere then I would be broke pretty quickly.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:02 am

This game is bullshit. I started a quest a while back because it promised me a better weapon. This relic weapon would allow me to do double the damage that I am doing at the moment. However, it requires me to turn in an obscure weapon with specific materia fitted to it. Crafting the weapon requires 50 leatherworking so I thought I had no hope of getting one any time soon, but then I found that I could buy one on the auction house for a large but affordable sum of money, along with the appropriate materia.

I then worked out that I couldn't actually attach materia to anything unless I had a trade skill at level 19, so I spent all morning levelling at the conveniently located goldsmiths' guild. I finally managed to get to level 19 so that I could learn to meld materia. I then attempted to meld the required materia to my purchased weapon only to discover that the melding process for this item also requires 50 leatherworking. For no reason. :evil:

I would rather abandon the quest at this point but the initial parts of it involved pointlessly travelling to the other side of the world and back, as all of them seem to, so I either have to put up with that again later or I have to leave this damn thing stuck in my quest log to remind me of how much this game sucks.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:04 am

Don't do the old relic side quests, the equipment gets outdone quite quickly in Heavensward
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:32 am

As for crafting, don't grind that shit. Do the daily turn ins with your faction (I can't remember what it was called in the game, but I was part of some group called talons or something). Sell whatever shit equipment you craft on the AH board and use teleport.

If you want more engaging lvl 50 content don't do relic and look at extreme primals or something. Get a high level leatherworker to meld for you if you can. I'd do it but I think I only got to around lvl 40 with leather and I'm not subscribed anymore lol.

Also if you are determined to do relic at least wait until level 60 and do the one which is relevant (but you probably shouldn't do it anyway because that shit exists just to keep crazy people subscribed and engaged)
🌚

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:29 pm

I was too lazy to post more updates so I have quite a lot to say. I will try to be brief :P

I am now done with FFXIV as the free 30 day subscription that came with the game has run out. A few days ago I was planning to renew (though perhaps not immediately) but unfortunately my final few days have scared me off.

I managed to get up to the final Heavensward quest (not including Dragonsong War), at which point I had my monk at level 59. By doing most of the remaining quests in the final zone I was able to hit 60. I got started on the first stage of the final quest (which apparently also involves a dungeon and a trial), but unfortunately it was far too hard. I never really struggled with the previous quests but the three crappy enemies that ambushed my just did more damage than I could possible handle with my character's abilities. I was barely able to hang on and kill them but then another wave appeared and it was clear that I was not going to see the end of the expansion in the time that I had remaining. It was a bit of a shame, but since I had hit 60 I was now free to level some other classes without having to worry about losing my rested XP bonus.

This was where things really started to go downhill. I attempted to get the most out of my rested XP bonus by continuing with my goldsmith, but it was clear that beyond about level 20 it is more or less impossible to get anywhere with vendor mats. Since it had been a massive grind even when the vendor was standing right next to me with all the supplies I could need, it was obviously folly to continue.

I gave up on crafting and switched to gladiator. Tanking is clearly where it's at since they get instant queues for everything. But... the grind. Just getting to ten by killing things, filling in my hunting log and doing the class quests took a horrifically long time. Trying to level any further doing that was not going to work.

I gave up on gladiator and started mining. Mining was also a grind, although it did not feel as boring as just killing stuff. Still, getting to 10 took so long that going any further was not going to work at all.

So I was done. There just wasn't an enjoyable way for me to level additional jobs. Apparently the only options are a truly horrible amount of grinding or switching the game off and waiting a few days for your leve allowance to replenish. It seems I only managed to level the first time around with the help of the story quests, but even if I could repeat those I wouldn't want to due to the horrible amount of pointless travelling involved. With nothing interesting to do I had no reason to renew my subscription. It is not impossible that I may decide to go back to the game at some point in the future but it seems like doing so probably won't be a whole lot of fun.

Incidentally, I did eventually get my monk relic weapon. The quest was far longer than I expected so I probably should have just abandoned it before I had spent any money. Still, I found out that there are materia melder NPCs in town who will slot the stuff for a fee, so I just did that to complete the first step. After a lot of the game's trademark to-ing and fro-ing and progression-blocking dungeon queues I finally got my hands on my relic. It turned out that the original tool-tip had lied to me and the weapon wasn't far superior as it had suggested. In fact, it did less damage than the weapon that I currently had equiped. Typical.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Final Fantasy XIV Update 3.4 Gets New Trailer; Shows Ton of New Content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JPfQb549Eo
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:34 am

Square Enix has announced a new expansion for Final Fantasy XIV by the name of ‘Stormblood’ which will be the games second expansion pack after Heavensward. It will come with a new area to explore called Eureka as well as new raids, gameplay changes and a new storyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAobb8_SzHY

The story will revolve around freeing Ala Mhigo from the Garlean Empire. The level cap will be raised from 60-70 and multiple gameplay changes including item expansion, a skill system overhaul, reassessment of unused and ineffective actions, more residential areas and new dungeons to explore and raid!

Square Enix also revealed that the developer will stop supporting the PlayStation 3 version of the game.

Final Fantasy 14 director Naoki Yoshida announced that the publisher will be launching a special upgrade campaign, allowing players still enjoying the PlayStation 3 version of the game to upgrade to the PS4 version for free. Players will, of course, still need to purchase a PlayStation 4, but they will not need to pay for the game again.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:38 am

Final Fantasy XIV Update 3.5 Coming Mid-January

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/11/26/ ... reenshots/

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:22 am

Final Fantasy XIV's Stormblood Expansion Releases June 20th 2017

Stormblood will be the final expansion released for the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIV, but there are plans for an upgrade option for PS3 users to switch to the PS4 version of the game.

Chinese UN Mission.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Stormblood is out soon, anyone getting it?

I'm guessing no because no-one here likes FFXIV :( :(

I want to get it but my internet is extremely bad now and I can't justify the sub+exp cost because of it
🌚

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:24 am

:D oh I loved the world and music, and the farming, oh god I loved the farming, but turns out I loath MMO combat I found it so dull :(

You'd think after the thousands of hours I've put into JRPG's over the years it'd be a perfect fit but I got sick of it after a month....though I did stay on another 6 weeks it was just to farm for resources for my clan.

:| sorry, the remake being my thread and all.

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:14 am

Really shouldn't post this as it just tempting you a bit....

Final Fantasy XIV Patch Notes Detail All The New Changes That The Stormblood Expansion Brings

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/18/fi ... 9sUp2uG.99

trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acf6lPBNXOU

Chinese UN Mission.