MMORPG News Featuring : Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn.

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
sleepery jeem

Re: Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn.

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:30 pm

Final Fantasy XIV update 3.2 goes live today, adding brand new features

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/02/ ... -features/
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:42 am

Bilge Rat wrote:Recently I felt rather tempted by Final Fantasy XIV so I decided to get the PC trial version. It gives you two weeks to experience the game with a level cap of 20. My only significant MMO experience before this is with World of Warcraft so I watched a couple of tutorial videos before signing up in order to make the most of my limited time.

I decided to pick the Lancer class since it does not have a WoW equivalent. I was impressed by the character creater, which has a lot of options. I was able to make a really cool looking character who looked nothing like the other NPCs and players in the game. I did a bunch of quests in the starting city (Gridania) and then continued to level as I wandered around the surrounding area. The environments are often gorgeous but the quests themselves tend to be pretty dull and repetitive. I also found myself running backwards and forwards more than I would have liked as the story quests, class quests and local quests sent me ping-ponging between settlements that I had already visited.

After a few days I managed to get up to the level cap of 20 with the help of a bunch of Guildleves (repeatable quests in a set area). I then started dabbling with some seconday classes, since FFXIV allows you to effecively level every class on a single character (very useful for a trial account). After finishing all of my class quests I decided to go for a chocobo and looked up the requirements. Unfortunately I had only got up to about level 14 in terms of story quests so I had rather a long slog ahead of me. I had to take many pointless airship journeys and was forced to participate in several dungeons with fellow humans but the other cities were pretty nice compared to the slightly boring Gridania. Ul'dah is particularly cool and I loved the architecture and the unique look of the surrounding countryside. Again, WoW does not really have an equivalent to this Persian-style civilisation (the closest being the now irrelevant Egyptian-themed zone of Uldum).

My love of this area diminished signifcantly when the next series of story quests forced me to tramp backwards and forwards across it, again and again and again. The quest giver kept giving me missions that took place two zones away so every one that I completed just let to another long walk in both directions. After a few very dull hours I finally was able to join an in-game faction known as a Grand Company. I was tempted to go with the Ul'dah faction but I decided that I should stick with the one in my starting city. They had their own leves that are basically the same as Guildleves so I had to grind them for a while to acquire the appropraite currency. Once that was done I was finally able to requisition a chocobo to allow me to get from place to place slightly faster. It was a shame that I was capped as I probably would have got another five or six levels out of all this additional questing.

With no more room to advance my level I decided to pick up every single other class in the game and mess around with those. I did the initial quest for each one but none of them really gave me enough abilities to really see what the class was about. I got the conjurer (healer / elemental spell caster) to level 10 and did a few extra quests but that was as far as I got. The crafting professions did not catch my attention either as it seemed that large amounts of materials would be required to get anywhere. The gathering professions were more interesting to me. These seem to be much more fleshed out than in WoW so I got all of them up to level 5 to do their second class quest, and then had to continue leveling them to 8 in order to allow me to equip the reward from that quest.

Overall I had quite a lot of fun in the game. Most of the environments are really pretty and there are several aspects of the levelling system that I found interesting due to how different they were from what I have been used to. I'm sure that I would enjoy spending more time in the game and it is only £9.99 for the base game plus a month's subcription but I just don't want to get into paying subscription fees again. I could probably use the free month to get quite a lot more done but I would feel like I had to rush in order to do what I wanted to do before I had to pay a subsciption. For now I think that I have too many other things to play and I don't want the cost of the monthly payments and expansion packs to mount up.

Anyway, below is my cool character and a summary of the levels that I attained in each class.

MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:26 am

Final Fantasy XIV Gets a Ton of Information, Pictures and Videos on Future Updates

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/03/26/ ... e-updates/
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Final Fantasy XIV Getting Tons of New Content With Update 3.3; Yo-Kai Watch Crossover Content Announced

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/04/29/ ... announced/

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun May 22, 2016 2:37 pm

Final Fantasy XIV’s Major Update 3.3 Gets Release Date.

The update will release on June 7th, and will bring a metric ton of content, that you can see in the slide below.

It will include the continuation of the main scenario quest, new sidequests.

The continuation of Hildibrand’s questline,

Moogle beast tribe quests, the Anima weapon story quest,

two new dungeons (Sohr Khai and Hullbreaker Isle Hard mode), two new trials, a new alliance raid dungeon (The Weekping City of Mhach), the Aquapolis, the first quasi-rogue-like Deep Dungeon (Palace of the Dead), a new Frontlines PvP map (Fields of Glory), housing items and adjustments, new crafting and gathering gear, the recommended gear feature, the ability to save your HUD Layouts and the raid finder.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:47 am

I have been struggling to find games that I want to play lately so I decided to take the plunge and buy FFXIV and Heavensward. As much as I liked my dark elf I decided that I might as well take the opportunity to start from scatch with an Au Ra, since I figure that this will be the least common player race. I picked pugilist so that I could get to start in Ul'dah.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:26 pm

Here is my Au Ra pugilist:

My previous time with the game was a huge benefit as it allowed me to race through the story quests again to acquire a chocobo in less than two days. Not having the free trial's level cap in place meant that I was already level 25 by the time that I had finished doing this.

Unfortunately I find myself a little directionless now. It seems like it is probably inefficient to attempt to level secondary classes until I have maxed out my first one. I am trying to continue with the story quests but they just force me to travel from one end of the world to the other so that it can make me run a few pointless errands before sending me back to where I started. I am struggling to stay motivated to play more than a few missions at a time. The levelling process has slowed down dramatically and my class progression was already pretty glacial as it was.

Hopefully things will pick up a bit at some point. Astrologian seems like it might be fun once I can access it.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:28 pm

It seems that Square Enix are having a cross promotion with some weird Japanese Pokémon rip-off. This adds some extra content to the game and after a fair amount of grinding I have managed to acquire some completely ridiculous weapons.

I am now a level 31 pugilist, which I thought would allow me to become a monk. Unfortunately the game wants me to be a level 15 lancer first for some reason. I was able to grind up to 11 fairly quickly but now it has really started to drag.
Last edited by Bilge Rat on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:54 am

Square Enix and Microsoft Still Negotiating for Xbox One Version of Final Fantasy XIV

Yoshida-san explained that he had a meeting with Microsoft a week ago about cross-platform gameplay. However, there are regulations Microsoft has in place about cross-platform games, that don’t really adapt well to a MMORPG.

Unless Microsoft adapts those regulations, it’s really difficult to materialize an Xbox One version of the game. However, Yoshida-san and Microsoft had talks about this topic quite a lot of times already, and next month around Tokyo Game Show another meeting is planned with Microsoft’s team coming from the headquarters in Seattle. During this meeting, Yoshida-san would like to go over the details of cross platform gameplay.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:45 am

WOOHOO! The good guy society has been slaughtered! Now I don't have to keep trekking back to their inconveniently-positioned base every few missions! Every last one of those assholes deserved to die.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:38 pm

IT IS MAKING ME GO BACK THERE AGAIN TO CLEAN UP THEIR CORPSES? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? :x

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:11 am

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Celebrates Its Third Anniversary With The Rising Event

Square Enix’s MMO is coming up on its third anniversary. To celebrate, the in-game event The Rising will be once more visiting the realm of Eorzea from Saturday, August 27th to September 12th.

Here’s an official description of the event from Final Fantasy XIV’s Lodestone:

“The Crystal Caravan has come to Ul’dah, and plans to put on the performance of a lifetime. To ensure the actors can truly bring their roles to life, however, the troupe leader seeks those who can tell them more of the great heroes who will be portrayed on stage. Adventurers with a love for the theater and the arts are encouraged to seek them out.”

To begin the event, adventurers will have to speak to the Crystal Caravan Leader at the Steps of Nald in Ul’dah.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:14 pm

So... I completed the main story, which involved 184 quests. I thought that meant that I could now participate in the Heavensward content, but no. Apparently there are an addition 100 quests that I must complete before I am allowed to play the expansion pack that I bought. I am currently on number 3 :|

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Oh boy, that stuff was really terrible when I played it.

Some really cool trials now and again but absolute turd for the other 95 missions or so. Heavensward was really good though, I enjoyed the story content in that much more than the pretty boring 2.0-2.5 stuff.

Download tons of podcasts.
🌚

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:34 am

Today, during Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn’s third anniversary livestream, Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida introduced update 3.4, which will be titled “Soul Surrrender.” He also announced that it will be released on September 27th.

Yoshida-san, aided by the ever-present Community Manager Toshio Murouchi, went on to showcase the contents of the update (and of the follow-up patch 3.45).

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/08/27/ ... -and-more/

Dr. Stewart-Williams.