The Gran Turismo Thread

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Snaggletooth

Re: The Gran Turismo Thread

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:05 am

Just about to start formula GT championship this week, then I remembered I suck at F1 racing games, fortunatly I know the tracks but I dont hold much hope to me getting gold in this one.

OnThinIce

Post by OnThinIce » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:32 am

I can totally understand why some people prefer arcade racers to your Forzas and Gran Turismos, I used to be like that myself and I love Burnout (bar Paradise) but the real metal of Forza and more so GT5 begins to show after about 15+ hours of gameplay. At this point I would be putting NFS and Burnout down most likely to never touch them again, the GT5 only really gets good at this stage and the finer touches really blossom.

I love how each cars has a unique personality and even the slighest of touches have an effect on the car you can feel, the slight tuning of your tranmission can be a race winning change.

Anyway, what DLC would people like to see?

EDIT: I hope they make these cars available to everyone

McLaren F1 Stealth Model

GameStop NASCAR car

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG Stealth Model car

neoviper

Post by neoviper » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 pm

OnThinIce wrote:Anyway, what DLC would people like to see?
I would be happy if Polyphony just upgraded the standard car models to premium ones over time. When I first started playing it the standard cars didn't really bother me, and I actually thought it was quite novel that the used cars (i.e. standard cars) looked noticeably worse than the new (premium) ones. But having now spent a considerable amount of time playing the game, I've grown to lament Polyphony's decision to notch up the car count with standard models, particularly having spent a decent proportion of that time in photo mode.

I get the impression that Yamauchi's vision was for every car to get the premium treatment, but once they embarked down that route they found out that it was too time-consuming to build every single car to that level of detail. At the same time, they didn't want to compromise what they already achieved, so in the end they done the most important cars as premium ones and then just upscaled the entire car library from GT4 and PSP so that they could boast more cars than Forza on the back of the box. To be perfectly honest, I would have been happier if they just released it with 300 gorgeous premium cars, than 500 average cars (a la Forza) or 800 rubbish cars/200 amazing ones (a la GT5).

Despite that, still loving the game. For the first time in the series I've really started to experiment with tweaking the cars' settings (rather than just sticking expensive superchargers on) and I'm quite impressed by the difference it can make. I finally completed the 'Like the wind' speedway race using a Pagani Zonda R with the transmission ratio ramped up to increase the top speed by nearly 100mph!

OnThinIce

Post by OnThinIce » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:36 pm

does anyone have a car I can borrow? I'll gift it you back.

can't seem to win the Historic Racing Car Cup on expert.

restrictions

Entry Requirements: Year: 1979 or earlier
Hardest Opponent: 711 BHP - 821kg - Chaparral 2J Race Car '70

Thanks

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:42 pm

I won it with the ferrarri race car, wasnt to hard once got it tuned right.
Your welcome to borrow it or I can tell you how to get it for free with a little work on your part.

DJCarlos

Post by DJCarlos » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:44 am

The Toyota 7 you win for one of the B-Spec "Like The wind" should sort you out......

OnThinIce

Post by OnThinIce » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:I won it with the ferrarri race car, wasnt to hard once got it tuned right.
Your welcome to borrow it or I can tell you how to get it for free with a little work on your part.
If I could borrow that i'd be much obliged. I'll gift it you back after I win the race

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 am

http://kotaku.com/5846990/gran-turismo- ... load-times
Gran Turismo 5 Next Big Update Adds More NASCAR, More Interiors and Cuts Load Times
PlayStation 3 racing sim Gran Turismo 5 continues to evolve with the promised "Spec 2" update, Sony and developer Polyphony Digital announced today, giving virtual drivers more to see and do as the game approaches its first birthday.

Gran Turismo 5's "Spec 2" update adds interiors for all cars in the game, albeit of varying quality. The update also includes the 2011 season versions of the 11 NASCAR race cars, "greatly reduced load times when loading races," and the ability to save mid-race during some of GT5's lengthier races.

There's more, including an expanded Photo Mode, and a new budget friendly priced for Gran Turimso 5 (now $39.99 USD), all of which is laid out in greater detail at the official PlayStation blog.
About time, got about 5 endurance races left which I never started due to their duration, quite happy to work on those now, a welcome update.
OnThinIce wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:I won it with the ferrarri race car, wasnt to hard once got it tuned right.
If I could borrow that i'd be much obliged. I'll gift it you back after I win the race
Not loaded up for a while, how did ya get on with the car?

DJCarlos

Post by DJCarlos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:25 am

Yep the mid-race save will be very welcome!

I've just passed level 36 B-Spec and only have the two 24 hour races left. Even though you can just leave the thing going, I sill haven't found a 24 hour period when I could do the race without being murdered by MrsCarlos. No iPlayer, no Blu-ray.......

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Just started downloading the patch which has now gone live, clocks in at a whopping 1192mb if anybody is interested, took me about 8 mins to download.

OnThinIce

Post by OnThinIce » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:50 am

cue somebody claming it took them 8 days to download it and how its totally ruined this generation of gaming

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:19 pm

it took me 8 days to download that stupid patch. it has totally ruined this generation of gaming.

therealjaxon
Location: Starfish Island. Hey, wait a minute....starfish ha ha! - I get it!!

Post by therealjaxon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:11 pm

Gran Turismo 6 hinted for PS4

Fans of Sony's acclaimed racing series Gran Turismo may have to wait until the next console for a fresh outing.

Series designer Kazunori Yamauchi that developer Polyphony Digital is already hard at work on GT6 and has been since GT5 was finally released in 2010.  

"We're always aiming for the latest technology and the latest expression," said Yamauchi, according to Andriasang.

The developer also hinted that a Vita version of Gran Turismo could allow gamers to enjoy multiplayer and online modes wherever they go.

"If we were to make it, we'd like to make use of the ability to play anywhere and the ability to use 3G at any time," he said.

In the meantime, Sony will release the Academy Edition of GT5 on September 26th.
Twitter: XtherealjaxonX
Argue ye not with fanboys lest ye become a fanboy 8)

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:03 pm

The Gran Turismo Sport closed beta is live on PS4, and many are posting some really spiffy videos, showcasing the beautiful visuals of the game, and quite a lot of gameplay.

Below you can see quite a few videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f-akCQsi1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djszbB8ZQYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9byAlLLRtdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2iA7F3cwKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m2_wjtZfzA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26cxRzw5FQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQFSy7TPMk4

The videos include a variety of tracks and cars, and highlights just how much the game has been improved since its earlier showing.

A large part of that improvement is probably to be attributed to the lighting engine, that increases the sense of realism quite massively.

:| remember buying the first one and finding it far to difficult returning it days later.
"Make the Left Hate again"

Paolo Gerbaodo : Kings College London.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:44 am