The Western RPG Thread

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
sleepery jeem

Re: The Western RPG Thread

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:07 pm

South Park The Fractured But Whole Has Gone Gold; New Trailer Released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHAA-MGIyjc
"Make the Left Hate again"

Paolo Gerbaodo : Kings College London.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:56 pm

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Creator Reveals Steam Punk MMORPG Ascent: Infinite Realm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvZo59uhz5E

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:44 pm

The MORROWIND That Never Was

Rageaholic : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppj_5jPqMDU

Julian LeFay interview here: https://youtu.be/IGLGi5RK8V8

:| an interesting watch.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:17 am

radiofloyd wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:08 am
Interesting review of Arcania, i had no idea that it was intended as a "casual rpg":

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?ar ... f=0&id=280

Worth a read!
Giving Arcania a go on PS4, its a fairly mindless easy play, especially noting the above.

I did get a quirk early on in the game. I was doing a quest for a witch in the mine, where she first gives you the lightening scrolls. Then, once I'd killed the bug queen the game immediately skipped to a cutscene where I'm back on the beach, talking, in a matter of fact manner, to Diego about how the village had been wiped out and my pregnant fiancé killed. It was like WTF did it just skip a major storytelling sequence ?

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:55 pm

First Major Citadel: Forged With Fire Expansion Released; New Trailer Released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxalYOw7Jao

Ever since the early access version of the game released back in July, developer Blue Isle Studios has been steadily releasing content for the game on an, almost, weekly basis, in the form of new structure sets, costumes, and more. Now, however, it seems like the developer finally kicking new content additions into overdrive, as it has just released the first major expansion for the title, which is called The Forsaken Crypts.

First, and probably the most important part, the new expansion will introduce three new boss caves. The first is the Phoenix Spirit Citadel, which is described as an old, run-down marble castle. Next up is Dragon’s Heart Citadel, a city that was destroyed due to a volcanic eruption. The third is titled Blood Soul Citadel and is a fortress that has been completely covered in ice.

The expansion is also set to include three brand new armor sets: Dracul, Pyrant, and Helios. The first gives players an incredibly high defense, the second will provide bonuses for wizards, while the third gives players a god-like power.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Still.plodding my way through Arcania, about 11 hrs in, and its reasonably enjoyable if a little mindless.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:59 am

ArcaniA - Finally a reasonable bit of challenge around the Blackmarsh and the Monestary areas, around 12 hrs into the game.

Some monsters are now spawning in groups of 8-10 as 4-6 melee fighters, 2 archers and 2 magic users. Hence if you're not careful the ranged attacks whittle down health whilst you're concentrating on fending off the melee fighters. Its not hugely difficult if you're careful and draw the melee away, and around a corner or obstacle which nullifies ranged attacks, but it is a significant step away from the straightforward button mash attacking that's worked so far. In a similar way to Witcher your ability to heal in the midst of battle is low (you can at least craft some potions to do it, and eat food), but mostly it relies on bandaging yourself between battles or equipping health regeneration items, or drinking short term enhancement potions.

There's a few odd quirks in the game; my best melee weapon damage wise* is still Gulthards Axe which I picked up in the first few hours of playing; there's a bunch of collectibles (relics,runes,statues) where you need 30 of each, so for I've found 5 or less of each, noting its pretty linear so no idea how I might have missed so many; and the crafting system is odd, since I never seem to have the right balance of materials to make much, albeit crafting seems to be of minimal value since you find so much other stuff anyway.

I'm warming up to it, there's even been a couple of branching quests with choice of paths/solutions.

Also I had a look through some of the PS Trophies, just for curiosity rather than collection. There a couple of really dumb ones in there, such as "Jump 1000 times", "Sit in a Chair for 60 mins", "Hoard 200,000 gold". To put in context, there's not much call for jumping, you get no benefit for sitting in a chair, and 13 hrs into the game, not spending much, albeit not selling too much either (as inventory is unlimited) I still only have 5,000 gold.

* Still not sure what the difference is between the Melee Power and the Melee Damage stats. e.g. I have weapons which will raise my Melee Power, but at a big reduction to my Melee Damage, hence I'm choosing to keep the Damage high as I don't know what the Power achieves (maybe the likelihood to break blocks?).

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:52 pm

Divinity: Original Sin II Team Tease a January PAX South Announcement

After being awarded a 10/10 from Gamespot and amassing a 93 average rating on Metacritic, it's probably fair to say that Divinity: Original Sin II is a pretty decent game, right?

Following the title's full PC release in September of this year, we've been yearning to play this supposed RPG masterpiece, and if an upcoming announcement in January is anything to go by, our wishes may soon become reality. In their latest Kickstarter update, the team gives word of a little announcement that will be made at next month's PAX South.

The PlayStation 4 port of the original took nearly a year to be revealed following the PC's June 2014 release, but with the much larger success of the second entry, Larian Studios may want to get the sequel on as many platforms as possible much quicker.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Spellforce 3 is now available on PC, so developer Grimlore Games and publisher THQ Nordic released a launch trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPLUNEVZ4HQ

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:39 am

After about 20 hrs I've now finished Arcania.

It all got a bit button mashy and repetative towards the end, and rather annoyingly it omitted all the cut scenes (PS4 download of Arcania Complete Tale). So as soon as I killed the final boss it just skipped to the new quest for the Fall of Setarrif DLC.

Noting I only paid £5 for it during the sale, is this the sort of thing I should raise with Sony, as there's obviously a quirk with the game?

Quick check online shows that the cutscene skipping isn't just limited to me:

http://forum.nordicgames.at/threads/245 ... -cutscenes

Anyway, if you're a sucker for RPGs then its probably just about worthy of a play through, just set your expectations low and don't pay too much and you'll get on okay.