Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Re: Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:07 pm

The problem here is when a game like DMC doesn't have a fail state. If you watch the video Dante doesn't even die, he just sort of lies down and waits to see if you want to buy a revive or connect to the MS store to buy more life for him.

@Blakey You're a big Souls guy so I know you know a bit about the lessons a game can teach by kicking the shit out of you. DMC is brilliant for that. But this is a mechanic which circumvents all that if you want.

It probably won't affect the game for me cause for me the whole objective is to not heal at all and just sort of get through on a single life bar. But it's dangling this carrot in the face of people who've maybe not got the patience to deal with or aren't as wise to what these games are and it's a bad look. It's not like this is hidden behind menus and menus, it asks you straight up.

Where this then starts to creep in is if these people start trying to play Dante Must Die mode. Like do they sit down and let themselves die over and over learning how to deal with things and 'git gud' or does that MTX start to look a bit more tempting.

Again, having watched the IGN Dante gameplay over and over and putting hundreds of hours into old DMC I bet that this game won't even be as hard as older titles. Basically I don't think the game will be specifically geared to **** over people like Sly is suggesting. It probably won't be the hardest DMC ever therefore you must buy an MTX. Everything they've shown has suggested the opposite. The timings are wider and the techniques more effective. The damage being dealt looks in line with what DMC4 had.

But the thing for me is more just the idea of DMC5 not really having a fail state so long as you have the funds. It's not good, not something I recognise as DMC-ish.

Here's a scenario. I posted a video here a few pages ago where I fight Vergil in DMC3 on Dante Must Die mode on DMD, I had him down to a single sliver of health, about as small as a cursor on a laptop screen and the fucker just managed to kill me.

What happens then if this happens in DMC5 on its hardest difficulty? It's not something I would personally do, I'm well able to take the L in these games and try again. I love it in fact. But this isn't what DMC should be. I hope Jim does go on a rage crusade tbh and I say that even while defending the skills purchase stuff. This is different, it's fucking rotten

edit: https://youtu.be/vkUdLZt7iRo
Would you like to pay £3 to revive and do the last attack to Vergil? y/n
Last edited by One-armed dwarf on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:02 pm
Even though it’s bad it’s not the end of the world because you can just click no and restart or something. What could make it really bad is if the restarts are really harsh. Or the game is just brutal for no reason other than to incentivise spending extra.

I’m kind of with Blakey that I played lots of games with with this stuff in. And even though it sucks in most cases irks easy enough to skip over. I think the real problem is how much does it actually effect the game.

Also I wonder if it still effects your S rank if you cheat? Like in Bayonetta you dead once that’s it you will never get that pure platinum. I’m undecided whether if dying and paying to get back in and it effects your rating would be good or bad.
It probably penalises your grade.

The thing is it's next to impossible to grade if the game is brutal on purpose or not to get you to spend. DMC3 famously set its normal mode to hard mode when it first game out. These games are just generally not supposed to be easy but it doesn't follow they're geared towards spending your way through them either.

The worst bit I think is the one Mary noticed, where you can use red orbs to do damage. Pay to deal damage.

Turns out Dante's latest Devil Arm is his credit card, no wonder his shop has no running water or electricity
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 pm

If it penalises your grade then for me there is absolutely no point in spending the money at all. If it doesn’t penalise your grade you can bet that bottom dollar I’ll be all over here like “this shit is fucking fixed”

Also it won’t be a case of comparing this game to the other ones it will just be a case of is this too hard? Mileage may vary, I suppose, and can’t really say without playing it, but there’s a difference between hard and bullshit and this game is going to have to be pretty fucking spot on if it flashes this in your face every time you die

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:31 pm

It depends on what you consider bullshit

Like you can deal with every single problem in DMC3 and 4 with the tools you have, it's more about how you know how to use them.

It's hard to talk about what's too hard really. Was DMC3 too hard? Technically it kind of was but people love that game. Ninja Gaiden was too hard for a lot of people. Grace and Glory in Bayo is a massive difficulty spike cause most people didn't know dodge offset. All of these things could be classed as being a bit bullshit if you're just learning but that's how the genre is. All those problems have solutions most of the time

It's hard to know cause it's not really a numbers and resources game. It's all just very classic character action stuff. You either hit the block and the parry or the dodge or you don't. But at least now the camera is a bit better.

Anyway, when you take damage in this you're automatically penalised. So even if the MTX didn't give you a D the damage you take definitely will. But DMC4 at least had a thing where you get penalised for using gold orbs to revive or even just a continue. Actually I think we've already seen that 5 has the same on its rank screen.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:37 pm

Like reading your post again I think I agree generally with what you say. I think generally speaking the thing most people can agree on is really difficult games shouldn't allow you to pay money to heal. Whether it's Souls, DMC, whatever.
Maryokutai wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:19 pm
Also those orbs don't only revive you but they also supposedly damage the boss the more you spend. At least that's what they say in the video.
Shit wait, I actually misunderstood this. It's both a revive and a damage bomb. That's why they have red orb and gold orb revives, so they are different actually

Lol come on. :lol:
🌚

mfnick

Post by mfnick » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:53 am

Throwing 2p in.
I agree 100% with Sly. **** MTX!!
Also, **** the word “micro” being used so much in that term too. Most are definitely not Micro at all (in general, not just DMC 5).

PSN - Nick_2k7

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Go team **** MTX!

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Go team games, warts and all!

Play the games you wanna play, don’t be browbeaten by the crusaders who think every single MTX is like weaponised aids.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:04 pm

The game will be great, the combat looks amazing. But I don't like seeing that stuff in it. Games should have fail states not a form to enter bank details.

Anyway, DMC2 is platted.

I wanted to get a neat trophy screenshot of Lucia but instead got this splayed naked lady with a nose torso on top of a bow. Not very cool

Dmc5 is supposed to be set after 2, I wonder if Lucia will show up 🤔

Pity her game is shit and has a combat system that feels like it's Dark Souls

Thats 1, 3 and now 2 down. Now time for the DmC plat
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:10 pm

This video I took, it's 60fps turbo mode gameplay on the PS4 but recorded as 30fps video. It's unwatchable shit, near the beginning anyway. I feel it's a good argument why 60fps is important for these types of games
https://youtu.be/bby0n2-_vbM

Sometimes Dante loses the gun charge I find. There's a few things which cancel it out, can't tell if it's a bug or on purpose.
🌚

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:43 pm

So is the consensus to start on Normal with a 1st playthrough then work your way up to Dante Must Die with subequent playthroughs when you've got good?
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:13 pm

I mean yeah, but the way you get good is maybe more comparable to a fighting game than something like Souls, for instance.

You definitely don't start at DMD anyway :o

DMC reddit are doing a thing for dmc5 where a bunch of top tier players will be creating video tutorials for all levels to learn mechanics and stuff. Basic controls and concepts but then also the complicated weird stuff.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/co ... y_channel/
Last edited by One-armed dwarf on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 am

Sometimes I like to pretend I'm good at these games but then someone like Donguri comes around and plays two characters on a single controller using his two human hands and like it's just not fair is it😥
https://youtu.be/ubxhodu69iM
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Dmc5 demo coming to London :o

https://mobile.twitter.com/drinkrelaxpl ... r%5Eauthor

Next Wednesday Loading Bar.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm at the end of my SoS: Hardcore playthrough of DmC. Last fight with Vergil

I'm encountering a weird bug I think where the game turns turbo mode off and on again between the different phases of the fight, I don't remember this back when I played it in 2015. At first I thought it was some epic cinematic slowdown stuff but why would a DMC game ever have that :? . It screws me up it does cause of how it changes the timings for all my attacks and causes weird audio miscues with Vergil and I can't find anything about this issue online.

https://youtu.be/dcd8Y0Sgk6c

The other thing is I can't remember how to deal with him in his doppelganger DT phase. I know the doppelganger gives you DT and all but it's hard to tell them apart. Feel like a right scrub I do.
🌚