Dragon Quest

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Maryokutai

Re: Dragon Quest

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:37 am

With all this DQ talk I decided to pick up DQ VIII for 3DS because apparently I don't have enough games to play already.

Visually it's a pretty great port. They got rid of the cel-shaded outlines but it still looks as crisp as the 3DS screen can manage. It's particularly interesting because this was once a triple-A console game so you can notice a lot of little details developers usually don't put into a simple 3DS game (very elaborate animations (including Jessica's bosom), day and night cycle and so on). They got rid of the menu screen however and replaced it with a very soulless text menu like they used in most other handheld DQ ports which is a shame because I remember it looking rather neat.

As for the game I don't remember how you should spend your skill points anymore. I put everything in swords for the hero because I faintly remember that Metal Slash will be useful for farming Metal Slimes down the line but I've no idea about the rest. Decided to put Yangus on scythes and Jessica on staves on hope it works out.

One thing I can fully enjoy this time around are the voice overs. Back when I played it on PS2 I didn't understand English at all so I just read the subtitles. Now, however, I can fully relate as to why people kept saying this was super funny to listen to when it came out. They really did a great job with the voices.

Next step is recruiting Angelo. I noticed I barely remember anything about this and I also never finished it on PS2 so here's hoping I'll manage to this time around.

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:02 pm

I remember the characters like

Dhoulmagus, creepy clown magician man.

Yangus, the cockney geezer who dresses himself with a dustbin and rug.

Boob lady. Character class of boobs. Special power boobs.

Sephiroth.

Yoda.

The horse who is your love interest.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:43 pm

The only dragon quest game I have interest in is Builders. I’m pretty sure I would hate it, but I browse it all the time on Amazon but never pull the trigger

regemond

Post by regemond » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:33 pm

It's Dragon Quest Heroes for me. I can see it being SUPER brainless, and that really pulls me in.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Thu May 03, 2018 9:58 pm

17 minutes of PS Underground gameplay from DQXI:

https://youtu.be/tIU25OINS7w
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:33 pm

DRAGON QUEST® XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age™ - Edition of Lost Time [PS4]

Celebrate the latest mainline entry to the series with DRAGON QUEST® XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age™ - Edition of Lost Time.

Available in limited quantities, this edition contains a variety of treasures to complement your adventure, including:

•Companion Compendium – Large format, 128 page hardback art book with concept & production art including Akira Toriyama's early designs.

•Symphonic Suite – 2-disc CD soundtrack set featuring orchestrated versions of in-game music. Includes an English language liner notes booklet, featuring comments of composer Koichi Sugiyama.

•Map of Erdrea – a 20”x15” cloth map.

•A collectible Steelbook® case.

•The “Edition of Light” version of the game for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, which features the below bonus

DLC:◦Supplicant - A clairvoyant's card imbued with the power to restore MP.

◦Healer - A clairvoyant's card imbued with the power to restore HP.

◦3 x Seeds of Skill - A nifty nut that confers an extra skill point upon anyone who eats it. Consumed upon use.

•Edition of Lost Time Bonus DLC:◦Pep Pop - A fantastic fizzy drink that immediately peps up all active allies. Consumed upon use.
◦15 x Seeds of Skill - A nifty nut that confers an extra skill point upon anyone who eats it. Consumed upon use.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.