Resident Evil 2

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
Sly Reflex

Re: Resident Evil 2

Post by Sly Reflex » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:46 pm

It's a re imagining. Completely different method of playing that is bringing it somewhat up to date of what we expect of today's gaming, while trying to be as familiar as possible.

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:56 pm

It's a retelling! :lol:

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:08 pm

The way I see it Remaster is just the same meaning as when they remaster an album. Exact same thing literally but just made with 'modern' production techniques. Which these days in music I think means blowing it the **** out and destroying the dynamic range and subsequent loss of audio detail.

But they get it right with games usually. Not always tho (Arkham asylum remaster)

REmake is a new game entirely.
🌚

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Well the name kind of implies that... :wink:

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 pm

In many ways I think REmake works cause it was a back to basics at a point in which the series was struggling to update itself. Code Veronica made the jump to proper 3D but it dated really quickly in visuals and the extra features were really gimmicky (dual wielding). RE0 was even more gimmicky with the partner system. They were really floundering at that time trying to think of ways to make RE feel 'new'.

But REmake they were constrained by working with an already established scenario and couldn't deviate much from it without making a new game entirely which wasn't easy back when they didn't even know what a new RE should look like. They didn't know what RE4 looked like yet, they thought it looked like DMC for a bit. So they just took the old game and iterated on it. Asked questions like 'what if the player had to manage enemies? Like burn their bodies after killing them or they get stronger'. Then expanded the scenario out a bit with Lisa Trevor.

I don't think they could have just kept making games like that. An RE2 remake back in the 2000s would have not been as special as REmake, it would probably just have been the same thing again with different scenarios. And if they went and tried to do a REmake style game with RE4 I think it would have just been another RE0. An aged framework with bits of gimmicky shit grafted on.

Less said about Outbreak the better.

I get why people want a new game in that old style but I think sticking so closely to the oldies is just sort of boring now. There are 5 of those games already, 6 if you include RE vanilla and REmake as separate games (which they are).

I am a little disappointed by the OTS stuff though. I get it cause they want to make the character central not like VII where you didn't even know who he was. Like I'm just sort of burned out on RE4 clones like Revelations and such even if this one looks closer to survival than 4 did.
🌚

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:38 pm

tresdoss wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:25 pm
In other words you like to make defining things more difficult than it needs to be... :wink:
Hmm. I think more definition could be used. Reimagining is apt. Not all remakes are created equal. Some are more faithful to the original some go off on a completely different tangent.

I can be cold on a full on reimagining as it can completely miss the point of what made the original great, bringing it to 'modern' standards and just blend into the rest of the trite offerings. A thing I think FFVII may be in danger of.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:40 pm

I think right now FFVII is in danger of not even being a thing. They farmed that one off to some anime game developer and then fired them and rebooted it all over.

I bet it's PS5 at earliest for that.

They should be more like Capcom, wait until you have a really cool thing to show with a realistic release date. Capcom turning it around these past few years.
🌚

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Today, during a live stage event at Ani-Com & Games Hong Kong, Capcom showcased some new gameplay of the Resident Evil 2 remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzZS7bKJ2tg

We get to see Leon in action, with the game played live on PS4 by Producer Tsuyoshi Kanda. We get to see oppressive environments, exploration, zombies, and plenty of inevitable gore.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:15 am

:| photobuckets down again so no pics, links here : https://www.dualshockers.com/resident-e ... ls-images/

In the game, Leon is 21 years old and Claire is 19. They were captured from actual models, and designed in a way that would fit the setting. To create their costumes, a new design was made by considering what kind of equipment they would use. If their equipment was too heavy, it would be too easy to defeat the zombies, but if it was too light, it would be difficult to survive in that environment. The approach was similar to what one would do when creating an action movie.

Leon’s face is scanned from the actor’s likeness, but the body belongs to another person, a Westerner who works at Capcom and that had a body structure suitable to the character. This approach was selected because it was difficult to find someone who had both the face and body suitable to play Leon.

For Claire, since the actress’ style was slimmer than the character’s image, body and face were also scanned separately. A lot of discussions went down on how a zombie would feel, and they decided that they should feel a somewhat wet and rusty. Since they’re close in looks to humans, they purposely tried not to make them appear too much like monsters. After all, what makes zombies terrifying is that they were once human.

Speaking of models, the actual 3D model for Leon in the game was used to create the Collector’s Edition statue, which was then tweaked further by an artist. It’s as close to the character as it can be. The team put a lot of effort ion the Collector’s Edition, and the Resident Evil series never had a figure this close to the in-game character.

While finding the right design for Leon was challenging, his facial model is relatively simple. However, his hairstyle required a lot of trial and error and iteration. The overall image is closer to his appearance in Resident Evil 4. If the team kept the original hairstyle from the old Resident Evil 2, it would create a sense of incompatibility.

Ada Wong will of course also appear in the game, but the developers were coy about her.

For Claire, initially they tried to go with the original design, but that costume was rather difficult to design, so they opted to go with a more modern approach instead. That being said, they, of course, kept the color red. They also made sure to emphasize that she is 19 in her design. Since she appears on a motorcycle they gave her a biker look. After all, one wouldn’t ride a bike while wearing shorts.

In the game, Claire is bullish and brave enough to get stuck in on her own. This is something the developers have been conscious of when writing the scenario. For her bike, they actually asked Harley-Davidson in order to take reference from the real thing. Part of the reason is that there are some who love bikes among the staff. They even received sound samples of the engine from Harley-Davidson.

Claire’s design is perhaps more feminine than the original. She doesn’t look wild, but more youthful and bullish.

The developers made an effort to include accessories that would be compatible with the time period since the game is set in 1998. Even the song played when Leon appears was created while being conscious of the grunge tunes popular in the United States at that time.

Sherry also looks a little older. She is twelve-years-old, but in the original game, she looked closer to ten. Her behavior is also a little more mature. While they can’t share anything about Ada’s appearance in the game, they worked very hard on her design and it was very challenging. They were extremely particular about her, and finding her design was eben more difficult than Claire’s. She will be revealed at a later time.

Funnily, in the E3 demo of the game, it was possible to leave the police station, but apparently, no one noticed, so it wasn’t publicly shown.

About minigames, they can’t say much besides the presence of The 4th Survivor and The Tofu Survivor, but they’re working on the game so that it can be played many times. They’re preparing “something” to enable a lot of replayability, perhaps even more than in RE7. It’ll be fun to play around with it.

The developers think the game will be good for speed runners, as there are a lot of moments that allow players to shave time off a playthrough. Even a knife-only playthrough is theoretically possible.

The game will be playable at Tokyo Game Show, and the developers encourage attendee to take a look outside the police station this time.

Development is entering the final sprint, and the team is confident that they will be able to complete the game without issues, encouraging both new players and original fans to try it out with a fresh outlook.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Drop photobucket and get imgur.

therealjaxon
Location: Starfish Island. Hey, wait a minute....starfish ha ha! - I get it!!

Post by therealjaxon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:09 pm

So the Collectors edition for this is £229.99 at GAME.
I made you laugh, you're welcome :)
If I made you choke on food, I apologise :(
Twitter: XtherealjaxonX
Argue ye not with fanboys lest ye become a fanboy 8)

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:10 pm

I take it you preordered?

therealjaxon
Location: Starfish Island. Hey, wait a minute....starfish ha ha! - I get it!!

Post by therealjaxon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Heh heh, no way. I mean, there's nothing really in it of great value, the price is a piss take imo.
I'm kinda getting fed up with this continuous taking advantage and taking the piss out of collectors. It's a "Let's see how much we can charge for this" attitude and I'm becoming increasingly more reluctant to be a part of it
Twitter: XtherealjaxonX
Argue ye not with fanboys lest ye become a fanboy 8)

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:19 am

Who wants to see some of the Birkin eyeball monster dad guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJ3kWv94ac
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:56 am

I'll be honest, I don't got the same attachment to this game like people do who played it in the 90s or whatever. I think the design of Birkin and his sounds look cool but the actual stuff that is this game isn't really wowing me.

Just something about how the whole encounter works. Like the design of the monster is real creepy but the game design of it sort of doesn't help.

That said a thing I'm excited looking at it is how they could be reworking the story and not having a bare bones classic RE style narrative.

IE, that's the taxidermy guy at the end right, he looks involved in a way more major way in this new RE2
🌚