Metal Gear: Survive

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
maf-me-quick

Metal Gear: Survive

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:02 am

There's a new Metal Gear game and it's a 4 player zombie survival game using MGS5 art assets and tech. You play as one of the original Dismond Dogs who gets sucked in to a worm hole and in to an alternate reality. There's a trailer on YouTube. I'll let you look it up for your selves or post the link here. No I'm not joking.

I'm going to steal one of the comments off Euroganer because it sums up my feelings pretty succinctly.

"Well that nose dived quicker than anticipated"

One-armed dwarf

Re: Metal Gear: Survive

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:24 pm

:(
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:23 pm

So anyway, these guys are the annoying soldiers we had to rescue in the main game in those side missions I guess?

It looks very lazy and boring.
🌚

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:54 pm

Oh Metal Gear what have they done to you :cry:

SNAAAAAAAKE!

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:28 pm

I played about 100 minutes of it earlier.

You get thrown in at the deep end, there are tutorials but they aren’t very in depth and you’ve got to figure out what a lot of the stuff does for yourself.

And boy is there a lot of stuff. So first you’ve got the mission waiting area which is this blank white virtual lobby type deal, here you can try out weapons, craft items from the various craft tables - food/drink, weapons, protective supplies ie. fences, barriers, turrets - select supply missions and pick up supplies from the storehouse. There was also an option to return to base camp but that was unavailable.

So the meat of what’s available in th Beta is the supply missions. You enter a mission of varying difficulty, make your way to a set location killing enemies along the way and picking up the all important supplies. Once you get there a warp hole machine fires up which then sends hordes of enemies to your presence, you then have to hold out for 3 waves of enemies before you can finish the mission.

You can put up fences, barriers, sand bags, turrets etc. To fight off the Zombie-like enemies and you also have access to gun emplacements around the area - which quickly run out of ammo - and the bipedal walker turret from MGSV if you have enough crystals to unlock it.

Everything you do is governed by the crystal currency and you seem to get it from absolutely everything, whenever you get a kill, whenever you get a certain rank on a wave and you can also find them scattered around the mission area to break up which your pipe/machete and collect. You also use them to level up and unlock skills from your skill tree so there’s a balancing act there whether you want to spend them levelling up or on vital supplies.

As far as loot goes, you get more of it the higher your collective score in the mission, so an S rank will get tons more good shit than a D rank. But you still seem to get a reasonable amount even if you don’t do brilliantly, but it’s unsure whether they did this just for the beta or not.

I played one of these supply missions on my own and had an alright time but then played with 3 other randoms and had an absolute blast, it was just a ton of fun. It is definitely horde mode but in an MG guise but if you like those types of games, the EDF’s, the Killing Floor’s etc. Of this world then I think you’ll like this. I even think folks who like State of Decay and Destiny may be able to scratch certain itches from this.

It wasn’t available in the beta, but I assume all the supplies you collect in the supply missions can also be invested back into your base camp to make it bigger and better as time goes on, I assume you’ll have some kind of base camp alert when it’s being attacked or a new story mission is available in the full game.

If it was a full priced game I’d probably give it a wide birth, but at £23 I think it’s worth a go, even if I only get 15-30 hours out of it I’ll have got my money’s worth.

MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 pm

LOCK THREAD

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 pm

I just watched a half hour video on this. I don't think I've ever been more suspicious of a game my entire life

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:28 pm

metal gear zombie

people like zombie so y not put in the metal gear

also maybe lootbox and survival crafting Minecraft twitching like the trends on internet
🌚

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 am

It's honestly better than it looks.

Difficult to put that across though, it's just a fun dumb thing. Only £20 too.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:02 am

I don’t think this game is for me regardless of quality, it’s just the oddest game I’ve seen in a while. It’s even weirder than Mario vs Rabbids

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 am

It has 0 ideas of its own
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 am

It’s weird to see something so low budget that still looks like MGS5.

What is the long term goal with Konami and video games with things like this? Is this a slow withdrawal, is this figuring it out without Kojima? It is so weird

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:30 pm

It is indeed very weird.

I think it’s just Konami seeing what people will buy, and ultimately want after MGSV.

It’s cool that they are experimenting after MGSV and have put out an incredibly weird, dumb, fun base building, horde mode survival game.

It’s probably a way to put some cash into the coffers to fund MGSVI too if they go down that route.
MFGamers Twitter

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 am

This is out now.

Can you survive the crystal zombies and manage resources and craft your gear?

Find out in this thing I guess.

Don't forget to buy lots of microtransactions to get more items to get more items.

🌚

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:30 pm

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 am
This is out now.

Can you survive the crystal zombies and manage resources and craft your gear?

Find out in this thing I guess.

Don't forget to buy lots of microtransactions to get more items to get more items.

It’s out tomorrow here actually.

Some of the info coming out on ResetEra has me incredibly hyped, don’t think MGS fans will want to miss out.
MFGamers Twitter