Final Fantasy VII, or grown men reacting like a kid at xmas

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
tresdoss

Re: Final Fantasy VII, or grown men reacting like a kid at x

Post by tresdoss » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:31 am

So, looks like this is going to be released in parts...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... sodic.aspx

Have to say that seeing the latest trailer then this news has knocked my enthusiasm down by a fair few notches.... You had one job Squeenix, for fucksake.
ImageImage

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:49 am

That has killed my enthusiasm. I don't mind episodic games (LiS was great) but I'm really worried how that might affect the design of the game.

I hope there is some aspect of being able to 'return' to locations in previous episodes and this isn't like what the article author says, a 'greatest hits' of FFVII moments.
🌚

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:51 am

Well I really loved the trailer, but episodic? to me I get the feeling it may be less of an RPG, and more scripted, concerns of a lack overall world map instantly jump to mind, episodic to me just screams scripted story driven, as always I'm likely wrong and always happy to give it a chance.

But this is the first real news that concerns me.

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:57 am

The way things are going the end battle with Sephiroth will be a qte...
ImageImage

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:15 pm

Square Enix is doing more than just remaking Final Fantasy VII. It sounds like FFVII will be episodic. You might have questions about this. Square Enix might even have answers.

“From the beginning, we thought a Final Fantasy VII remake would be bigger than a single release,” the game’s original director Yoshinori Kitase told Dengeki Online.

“If you did get it into a single release, there would be things we’d have to put into a shortened compilation,” Tetsuya Nomura, FFVII’s character designer, added. “Since we thought there would be stuff we would probably have to pare down and supplemental things we probably couldn’t add, we decided to divide it up, concluding that we have to do a remake that’s fully packed with content.”

Kitase added that with the Sector 1 and Sector 8 areas shown in the most recent trailer are quite dense. “If we took everything that’s in the original game and remade it at that quality, we couldn’t get it all on a single release,” said Kitase.

The Final Fantasy VII director explained that since they won’t be dividing up the game, the substance of the original won’t be cut, and Square Enix can then take that substance and do a full-on remake.

Earlier this year, Square Enix said that the Final Fantasy VII remake would not be exactly the same as the original game. Square Enix wasn’t kidding.

Top image: Square Enix
Maybe it when they say episodic they mean more like the 3 parts of FF XIII, certainly a good way to rake in some cash, considered its a guaranteed seller.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:28 pm

Hey, you've seen those Naruto fighting games right? Two ninjas run around in a circle, throw stuff at each other, charge up then do some kind of over the top dramatic super move. Well, the studio behind the Naruto fighting games, CyberConnect2, are apparently helping develop Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Final Fantasy VII Remake director Testuya Nomura and producer Yoshinori Kitase confirmed CyberConnect2 were helping out with development in an interview with Famitsu.

While the studio have previously helped with smaller Final Fantasy games, this will be their first time working on a main entry in the series.

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:56 pm

I can't say that puts my mind at ease much, if I'm being honest.... I can't help but think this is going to be something the fans just didn't want.

I'm also worried that'll be the case with the Resident Evil 2 remake.
ImageImage

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:49 pm

It's funny I don't really know what I want from a remake, I cant help but think a faithful to the original remake in all aspect would be nothing but a disappointment having played it through to many times to count I want them to do something new. but there are certain things that you just cant change.

Guess I will reserve judgement until we hear a bit more, or have chance to play it.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:50 pm

I read the article on Eurogamer and I don't get why releasing it in parts helps. The way it reads it almost seems like it will have different mechanics which, well okay, FF7 does have a few mini games and an airship and the like. But none of those things are things that stand on their own. Thinking about it I'll actually be surprised if there is a controllable airship at all. Although GTA has fucking planes so why not.

And why is the internet crazy? So what if it gets released in parts, once the final part is out they'll release the Final Fantasy 7: Remake - Complete Edition. No worry.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:58 pm

People are annoyed because it's not clear how a big RPG can be delivered in a fragmented episodic format and that it will upset the design of the game
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:19 pm

But we don't even know what the design of the game is yet. The best there is too glean from it is it has FFXV like combat and some Tomb Raider style movement.

And, this is a personal opinion but if it is still a 70 hour game or whatnot let it come in chunks. I have so little time to play games I won't even notice. I'll be half way through episode one before part 3 is out.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:26 pm

Come to think of it .hack was episodic and it is the .hack guys who are making this.

So I don't know.
🌚

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:13 am

maf-me-quick wrote:And why is the internet crazy? So what if it gets released in parts, once the final part is out they'll release the Final Fantasy 7: Remake - Complete Edition. No worry.
They're saying that's the problem... They won't be able to fit the game on a disc (apparently), so how do they release a Complete Edition?

And I for one don't want to be downloading five 30gig episodes every three months.
ImageImage

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:59 am

Sorry but the wont fit on one disc argument doesn't gel, what is currently the largest blue ray 500 gb?

I think its just a good way for them to fund development,fan or not though I think I will wait for the complete edition.

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:27 am

Pretty certain PS4 blu rays are 50gig max.
ImageImage