*OneTwo*

Re: Final Fantasy VII, or grown men reacting like a kid at xmas

Post by *OneTwo* » Tue May 30, 2017 7:49 am

:lol:

:evil:

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Tue May 30, 2017 1:32 pm

I wouldn't say FF7 was a masterpiece either. FF9, perhaps but not FF7. FF7 was just the Popular one, a FF entry point to many, myself included. However, it's not remaking the original if you change genre. Would you class Street Fighter 2 as a remake of the original if they brought it out as an FPS ala Mirrors Edge?
One-armed dwarf wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 6:40 pm
Last Guardian came out lol
Yes. Five years later...

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Tue May 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Mirror's Edge is not an FPS, it's an FPP. :P

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue May 30, 2017 2:41 pm

I don't understand what he's talking about. First person shooters? Changing genres?
🌚

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Tue May 30, 2017 2:55 pm

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 2:41 pm
I don't understand what he's talking about. First person shooters? Changing genres?
FF7 was a turn based RPG, FF7-Remake is an Action RPG. Different genres
Maryokutai wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 2:38 pm
Mirror's Edge is not an FPS, it's an FPP. :P
Image :wink:

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue May 30, 2017 4:27 pm

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Dwarf meet Pious

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Tue May 30, 2017 5:34 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 4:27 pm
One-armed dwarf wrote:
Dwarf meet Pious

Veela Magnet

Post by Veela Magnet » Tue May 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Pious the chosen wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 1:32 pm
I wouldn't say FF7 was a masterpiece either. FF9, perhaps but not FF7. FF7 was just the Popular one, a FF entry point to many, myself included.
Yup, this. From the looks of the current build of the FVII remake, it looks like a completely different experience, albeit with the same characters and plot. Sure, it would still be a great way to re-experience it, but a big part of the reason I loved FFVII was its fundamentally JRPG vibe: the turn-based battles, and the methodical, strategic, unrealistic, "gamey" approach needed to play it. Even the graphics, as lovely as they were at the time, still left a lot to the imagination. I could be wrong, but I can't see a action-RPG recapturing that in the same way.

And yeah, I prefer FFIX -- I'd love to see a straight-up graphical overhaul (no gameplay tweaks, aside from maybe speeding up the battle animations) in the vein of Crash Bandicoot.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed May 31, 2017 12:21 am

You people be crazy. Honestly, I'll be the last person to call FF7 a masterpiece, but it can't be denied how important it is to fans, to the series, and to PlayStation. Not that FF7 is a world class game anymore. It's not dangerous because of it's excellence, it's dangerous because of it's significance.

And anyone trying to tone down the idea of this isn't a big deal and how it's not really a remake is lying to them selves. Especially when you know you're all going to buy it day one anyway. The Final Fantasy 15 thread was the liveliest this forum had been in a while. Now they're making this one? You people be crazy.

I hope they succeed. I give them 5% chance of actually succeeding but I hope they do. It's a shame that all Sony's big iconic games don't. Shenmue 3, it's own Dark Souls game, Street Fighter 5 and the remake of FF7? They have tried so hard to make the PlayStation 4 the hardcore gamer's miracle machine. Whatever you think of the results absolute top marks for attempting something so bold

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Wed May 31, 2017 6:13 am

Might as well add my thoughts as a big fan of 7.

I am still massively excited for this, apprehensive but excited, I am certain the game will not recapture the magic the original did for me, but to see the world especially midgar come to life and be expanded upon adding even more depth to the characters is massively exciting.

That is not to say I dont have reservations, while I enjoyed 15 and was a massive improvement on the series that had been falling apart since 10.

It seems they are borrowing a lot from their experience with that game, my main concern is that they keep the same combat, If its going to remain active it needs to move away from the hold Square or Circle to a more Kingdom Hearts approach.and to be fair I think this does fit more with its current visual style.
Though some integral parts of the game I am worried for like implementation of materia, switching team mates so forth.

If I wanted a direct remake just with improved visuals and Localisation, I would have prefered a more Ni No Kuni cell shaded look, the game has a very strong Anime Influence and with the right gloomy visuals could have worked perfectly.

Either way this is still the most exciting game on the horizon for me, not because I expect it to be great, but purely Nostalgia and Fan service.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Final Fantasy VII Remake Progress Shared In A New Job Listing For Core Members

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/11/fi ... i44wbzk.99
The goal of our culture now is not the emancipation of the individual from the group, but the permanent definition of the individual by the group.
We used to call this bigotry.
Now we call this being woke.

Andrew Sullivan

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:48 am

I saw somewhere that the wage comes to £2030 per month. I'd figure that gaming would pay higher for some reason. Maybe it's one of those professions which sucks in excited, passionate engineers and spits out burned-out husks 3 or 4 years later.
🌚