Social media hostility - GamerGate

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
retro74

Re: Social media hostility - GamerGate

Post by retro74 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:40 pm

As big a non-story as I've seen in a while. Don't really give a shit about either side of the debate, they all seem like losers to me

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:41 pm

So death threats and hacking attempts on a charity is ok now?!

Jesus wept :roll:
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

retro74

Post by retro74 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:46 pm

I was talking about the wider debate rather than the last piece

However I do agree death threats are a bad thing - but I am almost certain it is impossible to physically kill a charity

therealjaxon
Location: Starfish Island. Hey, wait a minute....starfish ha ha! - I get it!!

Post by therealjaxon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:13 pm

:idea: Close all their damn shops that pop up EVERYWHERE?
Twitter: XtherealjaxonX
Argue ye not with fanboys lest ye become a fanboy 8)

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:17 pm

retro74 wrote:I was talking about the wider debate rather than the last piece

However I do agree death threats are a bad thing - but I am almost certain it is impossible to physically kill a charity
It's not impossible to kill charity workers though who work (probably) voluntarily for that charity, it is despicable behaviour and the lowest of the low.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

leeray666

Post by leeray666 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Personally, I feel that it would be best to refrain from accusing the GAMERGATE side as a whole for these threats. I'm not saying that the threats never happened, nor am I condoning them, of course, quite the opposite. However, I find it hard to believe that the people responsible for these attacks represent the larger group.

Also, as I've said before, there's been some pretty nasty stuff performed by some members of the SJW crowd also.

Unfortunately, for everyone, this whole thing has gotten way out of hand.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:09 am

GamerGate is an unorganised mess, with no true leadership or direction (apart from, seemingly, harass women and make death threats) and anyone can say they're supporting GG without any 'proof' as such, that much is true.

It's probably also true that GGers making death threats and harassing women are in the minority within the group, but if just one person does something despicable in the name of GG then it represents the group as a large, there's definitely plenty of deplorable people operating under the GG banner that much is fact.

Also, as far as I know the anti-GGers haven't done anything deplorable whatsoever? As far as I've heard anyway.

Also, I'll repeat again, the term SJW is fucking nonsense made up by GG cretins, it is a myth, SJWs don't exist, you can be either Pro or Anti-GG.
MFGamers Twitter

leeray666

Post by leeray666 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:08 am

OK, I'm not really down with the terms, so I'll just call them the GG crowd and the anti-GG crowd from now on.

Yeah, I did mention earlier in the thread about some of the things the Anti-GG guys have done, namely DDOS'ing and pretty much destroying a Game development program aimed at helping promote and support women in the industry. Google stuff about The Fine Young Capitalists, you'll see how a one Zoe Quinn declares the whole project oppressive of women and then uses her position within the Anti-GG scene to pretty much destroy the project. She made several claims of profiteering and exploitation which were totally unfounded; wittingly or unwittingly, this caused a DDOS attack on the programs servers and although she repented somewhat for her actions, she showed very little remorse for her comments and accusations.
thefineyoungcapitalists wrote: Zoe Quinn didn’t understand this project, she decided to send some followers our way, one of them doxxed me she retweeted it, one of them sent a death threat, tons of them called me transphobic and the majority said the project was exploitive. It costed me some money, a friend and a sponsor.
There is one example of the mob mentality from the Anti-GG crowd right there. Are we to tar all anti-GG people with the same brush? I don't think so.

I think reasoned debate is needed to come to some kind of common ground - I do believe there are issues within the gaming industry with regards to the treatment and representation of women in gaming that need to be discussed and addressed, but I don't think we're going to get anywhere by slinging mud at each other.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:36 am

Fair play, to be fair I wasn't aware of that story or The Fine Young Capitalists at all, I'll have to do a bit of research into it, their 'crimes' so to speak still don't seem as heinous as the GG death threats though to me but obviously hacking, or encouraging people to hack or shutting down a dev studio is pretty shitty nonetheless.

So easy to spin one story a certain direction on the internet (and in general), I mostly read Kotaku/Polygon articles and Matt Lees on youtube to find out about stuff but I guess I must've missed The Fine Young Capitalists stuff, I've heard of Zoe Quinn though.

I hate the whole GG/Anti-GG stuff being a thing to be honest, I wish we could go back to just eating, sleeping and talking about games, but some of these sexist issues prevalent in the industry at large needed to be brought up.
MFGamers Twitter

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:44 am

Blakey wrote: Also, I'll repeat again, the term SJW is fucking nonsense made up by GG cretins, it is a myth, SJWs don't exist, you can be either Pro or Anti-GG.
I disagree, SJW's do exist. I've met them, they're insane.
Punished Dwarf: A dwarf denied his Switch

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:12 am

Am I the only person who comes into this thread and sees a load of acronyms that should be in Jet Set Radio?.

leeray666

Post by leeray666 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:31 am

Blakey wrote:I mostly read Kotaku/Polygon articles
Those particular sites are biased, to get a balanced view of the whole thing you probably should read and/or watch videos coming from the "opposition" too.

One thing that particularly bugs me about the whole situation is the ignorance from the Anti-GG side. Again, I'm neither in one or the other camp, but when I see a blocking program in order to simply ignore argument it annoys me. You cannot hope to reach a common ground or truly change peoples views if you aren't prepared to listen, debate, counter and then counter further counter points.
They're doing a great disservice to their own agenda by raising some very valid issues, but then deliberately stifling debate and in most cases branding all those who are in the opposition camp misogynists, potential rapists and killers.

Ignorance through blocking etc. bugs the hell out of me on a personal level. There is this quite successful youtuber who once posted a video claiming that he could increase your frames for playing BF4. His method was through a misunderstanding of a particular config setting. This particular config setting adjusted the amount of cpu cores used by the game.

Now, this config setting wasn't really about increasing your FPS or the amount of cores the game used, because at default, the game uses the maximum available. This config was about LIMITING the cores, for if you'd like your computer to do other stuff at the same time etc. Really, it was just an option available for people to tailor the game to however they want, nothing special.

This config setting NEEDED to be entered within the user.cfg

This video posted by the youtuber however, asked people to enter the setting within the PROFILE_profile. Now, you can adjust settings in the PROFILE_profile, but you have to be careful, because what happens when you mistype something there the game will simply default to "auto settings". So that is exactly what happened here, the config setting was never supposed to be typed in the PROFILE_profile section and therefore the game loaded "auto-settings" and for that youtuber, it increased his framerates.

I watched the video, already aware of the subject and so tried my best to inform him and his viewers of the mistake. I asked him to look into what was actually happening and how it "worked" and suggested that he owed it to his fifty thousand subscribers to make sure that he KNEW what he was doing before asking them to do the same thing (as for some the "auto-settings" would be detrimental to their performance). He took issue to that and blocked me. Any comments I made from then on, fell on deaf ears.

I was a little angered to say the least. This ignorance has led to people unnecessarily playing the game in auto-settings when they could be playing the game at a higher fps and/or a higher graphical fidelity with a proper knowledge of the config settings.

Oh well, it's just a game and 50,000 subscribers/potential players, but the act of blocking and ignoring still totally sucks balls.

Guinnes1981

Post by Guinnes1981 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:17 am

tresdoss wrote:Am I the only person who comes into this thread and sees a load of acronyms that should be in Jet Set Radio?.
:lol:

"I know winning isn't everything, but I thought you'd at least heard of it."

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:13 pm

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Blakey wrote: Also, I'll repeat again, the term SJW is fucking nonsense made up by GG cretins, it is a myth, SJWs don't exist, you can be either Pro or Anti-GG.
I disagree, SJW's do exist. I've met them, they're insane.
I disagree, only logically minded people with ethics and morals exist, who believe in equality and freedom of speech. No such thing as an SJW it is nonsense, and the term has pejorative connotations.

I also don't understand how 'SJWs' as you call them are 'insane' how can believing in equality and fairness be 'insane' ? I don't get it.
Last edited by Blakey on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFGamers Twitter

therealjaxon
Location: Starfish Island. Hey, wait a minute....starfish ha ha! - I get it!!

Post by therealjaxon » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Does this help explain Blakey?
SJW
Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.
Twitter: XtherealjaxonX
Argue ye not with fanboys lest ye become a fanboy 8)