The Kickstarter thread

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
sleepery jeem

Re: The Kickstarter thread

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Watch The First Episode Of Mighty No.9’s Documentary Series With Talk From Keiji Inafune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4bV3Z186Q
The goal of our culture now is not the emancipation of the individual from the group, but the permanent definition of the individual by the group.
We used to call this bigotry.
Now we call this being woke.

Andrew Sullivan

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:18 pm

It's a shame they handled the game's release so poorly. Double Fine hit a pretty tough spot during development of Broken Age, too, but they managed to still come out as the good guys by simply splitting the game in two and therefore being able to make the release date.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what you think about it. I'm interested in it myself but I have more than enough to play at the moment so I'll wait a bit.

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:45 pm

Yeah, I just feel the game bit off more than it can chew. They added more platforms and more modes as the kickstarter did better and better and then just couldn't deliver. I've been thinking about that today - reminds me of Rise of the Robots (who remembers that terrible game!) - in that they had lofty goals, promised to support many platforms etc.

Now the game is delayed for the 3DS and Vita to an unspecified time and the console releases don't look that hot at all. The game was delayed for countless months due to just online stuff (as there doesn't seem to be any changes to the main game at all). I haven't seen one single person who asked for an online mode... Their good will basically burnt out. Not only will Red Ash most likely crash and burn, but it permanently harms any future games in the franchise, and probably harms Mega Man indirectly as well since (if Capcom cares) - they will think no one wants a Mega Man game after this fiasco. So somehow the series is even deader than before (now that's impressive!).

My advice? Go buy Shovel Knight. Its the best Mega Man spiritual sequel ever (actually, its better than some Mega Man games for sure, definitely better than 8 ). Shovel Knight takes the basic concept of Mega Man, has amazing level design, different special moves and unlockable items, amazing boss fights, excellent music and some decent hidden extras (like Kratos and Battletoads in the Playstation and Xbox One versions respectively). Buy that game instead! I still need to get the Xbox One version to do the Battletoads level...

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:27 am

Yeah, I've been thinking about getting that for a while, too. Not a huge fan of the 8bit aestethic but I might pick up the retail disc at some point. Preferably on WiiU though.

Just realised: Shovel Knight was also a Kickstarter game, correct? It's amusing how much better this new studio handled their game than a veteran like Inafune.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:54 am

Looks like this game is getting tanked by the reviews.
ImageImage

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:54 pm

:| ouch !.

Inafune says launch version of Mighty No.9 'is better than nothing'

To celebrate the Mighty No.9’s North American and Japanese launch, developer Comcept ran a live stream in which Inafune himself appeared to admit that things hadn’t panned out as expected.

"The reality is they put everything into making this game,” Inafune said, as translated by Comcept’s Ben Judd, Vice reports. “They didn't try to microtransaction it out, they didn't try to DLC it out for extra money. They put it all in.

“So, for now, this is what you see and what you get, for the Mighty No. 9 world. But, again, we can hope that if things go well, there'll be sequels. Because I'll tell you what, I'm not getting my 2D side-scrolling fill. And at the end of the day, even if it's not perfect, it's better than nothing. At least, that's my opinion."

Judd also explained how Inafune began work on other projects once the game had hit around the 70 per cent completion mark and was not involved in its porting to various platforms.
The goal of our culture now is not the emancipation of the individual from the group, but the permanent definition of the individual by the group.
We used to call this bigotry.
Now we call this being woke.

Andrew Sullivan

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Yeah, I can imagine Recore being higher on his priority list for the last 12 months since pissing off your fanbase is obviously better than pissing off Microsoft (?).

Seriously, that guy needs to keep it together. Ever since leaving Capcom he has done nothing but bashing developers from his home country and making average budget games. His Mega-Man credentials can only carry him so far.

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:10 pm

Maryokutai wrote:Yeah, I've been thinking about getting that for a while, too. Not a huge fan of the 8bit aestethic but I might pick up the retail disc at some point. Preferably on WiiU though.

Just realised: Shovel Knight was also a Kickstarter game, correct? It's amusing how much better this new studio handled their game than a veteran like Inafune.
Yeah, Shovel Knight was done by a small team and they did a bloody amazing job with the game (its pretty much the best indie game I've ever played). Don't let the 8bit graphics put you off, the animations are fantastic on the game, oh and the team release free expansion packs/DLC. The first piece of DLC lets you play as Plague Knight who changes the gameplay completely, and its much better than many pieces of paid DLC. Definitely buy Shovel Knight!

Oh, and the Wii U version of MN9 is broke. 30FPS with drops, freezes etc. Sounds like its almost unplayable to me. My code won't work until Friday because the game isn't officially out until Friday... Yay.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:28 pm

sleepery jeem wrote: Inafune says launch version of Mighty No.9 'is better than nothing'
What an absolute dickhead thing to say. I bet the Kickstarter backers don't think that way. I bet the majority of them would rather have nothing and keep their money instead of handing there money over for a garbage game. The fucking balls on this guy is unbelievable. Not in one single aspect has this game even come close to delivering on what the promise was. Not the quality, not the time schedule. Yes, there is a disc with a game on it, so you did reach minimum requirement. But the idea of Kickstarters is supposed to be this feel good thing about someone who is passionate about their project working with the fans so they can all be happy about it. Not 'Well it's better than nothing'

I thought there was something odd when that video came out of him playing it for the first time then he turns around to people and gave them the thumbs up. It was like why are you giving them the thumbs up? Shouldn't you already know what your game plays like? I don't know much about game development so didn't think much of it at the time, but I have to wonder how much he really had involved in this.

I haven't really cared about Mighty No.9 in a long time but I'm not buying or playing he's piece of shit Megaman clone. Fuck this guy.
Shadowman wrote:(its pretty much the best indie game I've ever played)
I mean it's good but :shock:
ImageImage

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Its between Shovel Knight and one of the more recent Yakuza games. No other games these days really give me those awesome moments of awesomeness like these games do. I guess I'm stuck in a time when I love cool levels with badass bosses waiting at the end for you. Most games these days don't really have that, or they are FPS games with terrible boss fights, or they are open world games with lackluster level design...
Well, bar Nintendo of course, they still rock.

Killer_Carp

Post by Killer_Carp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:42 pm

Since leaving Capcom, Inafune has created Soul Sacrifice, Yaiba, Sweet Fuse, Bugs vs Tanks, ReCore, Mighty no.9 and Gun Volt. One of those games ReCore is not out yet and the others are not great games. I fully believe Kamiya-san when he said on Twitter that Inafune is "a business man, not a creator". I will not buy a game from Comcept ever again and Inafune is an overrated hack who does not deserve his "golden cow" status that some gamers give to him.
Easily Distracted by Shiny Objects

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:25 pm

Soul Sacrifice is a good game, the update - Delta is a great game. So that's... 1 game? Fairly sure he had nothing to do with Gun Volt, your thinking of Inti Creates - the studio that worked on various Mega Man games as well as Mighty No 9. I've not had the chance to try that game yet (because its not been released outside of Japan on the Vita and I'm too lazy to get it on another platform).

But yeah, its strange that he was the glue that held together the Mega Man team when in Capcom - as soon as he left all the MM projects got canned, and someone/some people over at Capcom knew how to make great MM games since the Mega Man Zero games were amazing (thanks mainly to Inti Creates no doubt), ZX Advent was a huge improvement over the first game, and Mega Man 9 & 10 were excellent additions to the classic franchise. Plus Inafune did have a hand in getting Dead Rising and Lost Planet off the ground - both of which I really enjoyed. But yeah, after he left things have not gone great for him.

On the brighter side - Shovel Knight (the good Kickstarted sprirtual successor to Mega Man) is getting a limited physical release for the Vita (it was announced today). Which is great news for me :mrgreen:

Killer_Carp

Post by Killer_Carp » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:33 am

This would have been a great troll if Sonic games have not been so shit for so long.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/stat ... 1987371008
Easily Distracted by Shiny Objects

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 am

Sonic's 25th birthday soon, so new game incoming? I think Sonic Boom is dead in the water, so hopefully the next one will be something cool. Or burn me again. Honestly I'm too used to it to care, I can only feel positivity for Sonic at this point since the last entry dropped so, so low

Sonic Generations 2? (That first game came out 5 years ago holy shit, time please slow down)
ImageImage

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:51 am

We should surely be seeing a new Sonic game announcement soon, I've seen rumblings that it might be announced next month. Hopefully what ever game they go with builds on the foundations laid in Generations, which plays really well for both 2D and 3D Sonics, rather than going with a all new concept like Lost World did (which was good for the first couple of levels, then ended up being substandard for the rest of the game).