Game News Titbits

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
Snaggletooth

Re: Game News Titbits

Post by Snaggletooth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Another totally against loot boxes here, seriously there is no need for them other than to fill the Greed of the Dev /Publisher.

And it's not just loot boxes, though those are obviously the only one that get the attention at the moment comparing
them to gambling should not be up for debate, they are full stop.

But In game currency is another big evil along with the one that now every body just accepts on disc DLC ( Hello 90% of Fighting games )

But what really bugs is that the games are now designed around these features according to the industry they are necessary, in my view they are only necessary to combat shit game design, design made to make you slog through a game you have blown £40 - £60 on already.

Just to get the unlockables that are put out the way of normal playing hours and way out the range of casual players, the grind is so tedious the games become largely boring. yet way back in PS2 days and Prior any unlockable it was achieved via a respectable play time, hell Tekken games had half the roster locked but each one unlocked with each successful arcade run, which could be done in a day.

Sports games, ell you didn't need currency.
It's a racket and loot boxes are the biggest evil.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Sly Reflex wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 pm
Utter bollocks.
Ok, you made your point. I'll still keep playing Overwatch whenever I feel like it and won't spend money on lootboxes. If that means I'm a product then I guess I'm a product. As long as I enjoy playing it I'm okay with it. There's no reason to overthink it beyond that.
Snaggletooth wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:24 pm
But In game currency is another big evil along with the one that now every body just accepts on disc DLC ( Hello 90% of Fighting games )
What bothers me most about this is that the only recent fighting game that actually doesn't need you to spend money on all of its post-release characters (Street Fighter V) managed to get such a bad reputation for being 'incomplete' at launch (i.e. not having a boring storymode where you watch cutscene and hit level 1 CPUs in the face) that it quickly became the posterchild of how not to do a fighting game despite a lot of its ideas being pretty positive*. Few months later we get Injustice 2 which announces six DLC characters pre-launch and asks you to buy a Season Pass for about 80% of the cost of the base game and everyone loves it.
I mean are people stupid or are they just dumb?

*Sly will now tell me that gradually unlocking characters with Fight Money is worse than having to buy a Season Pass for sure though.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:56 pm

I was revisiting Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance not too long ago on YouTube. Amazing how everything was unlocked by Playing the game.

What a novel concept :roll:

One that was completely destroyed by the weak willed sheep that supported DLC, Season Passes, Loot Boxes and Micro-Transactions so blindly and aggressively, they made these processes "The Norm".

Kudos to all the guilty for that...

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:36 pm

SFV at least learnt a bit from not putting DLC on disc, though the initial DLC characters I think were promised before main game released which could be unlocked with in game credit as opposed to paying £25 season pass, fair unless like me you dont want to play online, have little time for slow gain of points from training mode. made almost impossible not to buy season pass.

For me its that slow gain, if in game currency is going to be there it at least needs to be achievable whats initially promised, any further DLC after that then fair enough.

But your right MK X was the same, rip off dlc pricing and similar issues to injustice, or how about Arc Systems horrendous pricing approach to DLC.

I just struggle to see how half the BS can justified when its stuff we used to get included in games at one price point.

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 pm

I am fine with DLC. Programmers lives are ruined by crunch. Watch documentaries in the development of older PS1 titles like Gran Turismo where they slept in the office and didn't see their families for weeks.

Then a project ships and the team downsizes and they're out of work while the remainder of the team support the game with a skeleton crew releasing patches (not for gt1 but you get the point). DLC schedules introduce stability into the profession so Dev cycles aren't such a cliff edge

Also some DLC is really really fucking good and better than the main game. Eg, FromSoft DLC. DSII's best content was it's DLC and it almost redeemed that game.

Revenue models like MTs and DLC are fine but they need to be made fair for everyone.
🌚

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:51 pm

Maryokutai wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:48 pm
What bothers me most about this is that the only recent fighting game that actually doesn't need you to spend money on all of its post-release characters (Street Fighter V) managed to get such a bad reputation for being 'incomplete' at launch (i.e. not having a boring storymode where you watch cutscene and hit level 1 CPUs in the face) that it quickly became the posterchild of how not to do a fighting game despite a lot of its ideas being pretty positive*. Few months later we get Injustice 2 which announces six DLC characters pre-launch and asks you to buy a Season Pass for about 80% of the cost of the base game and everyone loves it.
I mean are people stupid or are they just dumb?

*Sly will now tell me that gradually unlocking characters with Fight Money is worse than having to buy a Season Pass for sure though.
See this is a thing. If they were reasonable about it it'd be great. But that shit is tuned so that you have to spend your life playing. It goes beyond playing naturally for fun, it goes into piss taking areas. It's unacceptable. Unlocking stuff through currencies shouldn't be extortionate on time neither should DLC added to games be extortionate either.

I know this is a different game, but it's one I played a lot. GTA Online. Loved my time with it, it could be a bit grindy but it was fun to dick about in. The the DLC train came and the prices started to inflate. They inflated so much that some of the purchases cost more than the actual game itself. In addition if you wanted to get the big money you had to play in public lobbies, but not before investing in certain aspects of the game. That wouldn't be a drop in the ocean to start with.

So you're in a public lobby and you get killed by a guy in a flying Delorean. There we go, that's an advert right there. You cant't compete unless you have this Delorean. It's powerful and if you want anything done you've got to have the Delorean. The guy that bought the Delorean bought it to shoot other players with. Hence if you want to make money fast you're now throw into public only lobby activities were the grind and experience are miserable, or you can pony up and just get a shark card and buy the bloody car. You play longer and unwillingly to gain enough cash to buy what you want and then something new is out.

You either accept the miserable infused grind or you buy the currency and pay through the nose to skip the crappy part and get your toy. Then you unwittingly become the advert for this car because you're pushing peoples shit back in with it.

Now I know it's not a 1 for 1 with Street Fighter or Overwatch, but it's exactly the same thing. I spent hours playing with a mate so he could get the Witch Mercy skin. I didn't want it. He didn't get it. Year after same thing, He'd spent his coins or whatever and we're in the same boat, playing a game just to get the skin rather than playing the game for fun. It's a miserable experience. It's gone beyond playign the game for fun, you're playing it for the next time you can crack a lootbox open. It's bad game mechanics.

Is there a better way to do that stuff? Yeah, I'd say so. Actually make it into a thing that the player can earn rather than win. For instance if you play as a character anything they have in relation to the event unlocks as you accumulate points. I look at the skins I've gotten, and the majority of them are for characters I would never play. It's too much for them to design it so that you get the loot for the characters you play though, because the way they do it now retains players grinding for items they want and allows them to rob folks that might throw a fiver down in the vain hope that the 4 or 5 boxes that'll get them might have the skin in.

The most galling thing about this whole fiasco is Blizzard learnt that how they did loot in Diablo III was broken. You'd be playing a Barbarian and get loot for the Monk. I know, that loot had application uses and wasn't just cosmetic, but it ticks the same desires. People want for what they're using. It was so unsatisfying that people used to just farm gold and buy the loot they needed from the auction house. How is that fun? They realised and readjusted the game to actually give you stuff that you were playing as, but they've learnt this lesson already but people are more willing to put up with it now because they've been conditioned that lootboxes are here to stay.

I actually think that occasionally there's no way to deliver bits and bobs to the player other than at random. Rocket League when it first arrived was an excellent example of those, finish a match and get an item you've not already dropped. When you look at something like Overwatch, a game that has thousands of items in it currently, throwing you an item at the end would work. No need for lootboxes. No need for grinding, just play the game, know you're not going to get any dupes and as long as you didn't AFK it's a good way to get people to stop to the end of the match.

The whole loot box stuff as it is has got to end though. It's fucking gaming up in ways that is eroding what games are about. Games should never feel like a second job. We all have enough of that in our daily grind.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:09 am

Blizzard doesn't want people to 'main' a character and stick to playing Junkrat against a top Pharah on the enemy team, which is the reason why lootbox content is randomized. It didn't really work out in the end because some people never switch after all but they had the right idea IMO. If people feel forced to stick playing as a certain character in order to progress faster to his/her next unlock they might ruin team composition for everyone else.

With Street Fighter that's simply not true. They obviously don't hand out FM for free because they still want some kind of investment from their playerbase to warrant them getting content for free (i.e. they want you to become their products in your words) but you really don't have to grind. I have accumulated enough Fight Money to afford a fourth season of characters and we've only just concluded the third. People who bought Arcade Edition will also easily unlock enough to go through the entirety of S3 and have some leftovers for S4. The trick Capcom tries to pull is to lure people in with other stuff you can buy with FM so you don't have enough anymore for characters, but if you ignore colours and stages and all the other stuff you're never going to run out.
Plus this is a fighting game, so the people who care about having a complete roster are usually those who actually spend a lot of time with it anyway.

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Maryokutai wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:09 am
Blizzard doesn't want people to 'main' a character and stick to playing Junkrat against a top Pharah on the enemy team, which is the reason why lootbox content is randomized. It didn't really work out in the end because some people never switch after all but they had the right idea IMO. If people feel forced to stick playing as a certain character in order to progress faster to his/her next unlock they might ruin team composition for everyone else.
Except people are always going to main the classes they enjoy. I see nothing wrong with giving unlocks to the classes you play as. When I pop a crate and I get Hanzo stuff, that's just a slap in the face. Team comp? Me and you played a very different game, if someone wanted to play something that ruined team comp they did it. That's why I ended up with a bloody Hanzo and a Widow every game even though they couldn't hit shit. The randomness might have spurned me to try a character, but never actually go on to be able to use them if I don't like them. I could have all the drops for Genji but that doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to start playing him, because I do not like the way he plays.
With Street Fighter that's simply not true. They obviously don't hand out FM for free because they still want some kind of investment from their playerbase to warrant them getting content for free (i.e. they want you to become their products in your words) but you really don't have to grind. I have accumulated enough Fight Money to afford a fourth season of characters and we've only just concluded the third. People who bought Arcade Edition will also easily unlock enough to go through the entirety of S3 and have some leftovers for S4. The trick Capcom tries to pull is to lure people in with other stuff you can buy with FM so you don't have enough anymore for characters, but if you ignore colours and stages and all the other stuff you're never going to run out.
Plus this is a fighting game, so the people who care about having a complete roster are usually those who actually spend a lot of time with it anyway.
On the flip side whenever I've watched people play on Twitch they've forked out for the new characters as they've released, because if they don't they're way behind the curve when it comes to unlocking those characters with earned currency. You obviously play a lot so this system benefits you. In Street Fighter terms you're a 1%er, for comparison you're the guy in GTA Online that can afford the Delorean because presumably SFV is one of the few things you play? I don't know, since you're not on my friends list and I can't see your activity. I'd like to see a bigger sample of SFV users say the same, because although it might be working for you it might not be working for someone else.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Everyone who still plays SFV two and a half years after release is committed enough so that he/she should potentially be able to put their amassed FM to good use. As I said a lot of people have been blowing unreasonable amounts on costumes, colours and stages and while I can see the temptation, that's still entirely on them. I don't even play the game that much but, for example, when the latest two characters came out I made the necessary amount of FM back in about a month just by playing the new character and levelling him up and regularly doing their weekly missions for extra FM. It's really not that big of a time investment as people think. Plus I've also read of some players blowing over 200k FM (the equivalent of two characters) into Fighting Chance, which is basically Capcom's Lootbox. And all that for some special colours.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:27 pm

Tell Tale games are shutting down
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Fake news.

They laid off 25% of their workforce
🌚

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Damn and they just went into publishing, too...

I mean, yeah, they never managed to reach the heights of their first Walking Dead season ever again but I'd hate to see them shrink to the point of obscurity.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:53 pm

I got it wrong twice.

They are not firing 25% of their people. They're reducing a 350 ish workforce down to 25 and these guys are finishing whatever current projects they can. But they will likely go bankrupt or something like this.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:11 pm

You should work at

The White House the way you

Trade in

“Facts”

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:19 pm