Re: The PS3 Thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue May 30, 2017 7:50 am

Well, it had a 10 year life span just like they said it would

Good going PS3. A really good console when it's all said and done
ImageImage

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue May 30, 2017 7:56 am

Great legacy machine. So many HD remasters and PS1 classics. That's why I still have one.

Shame about the actual ps3 games tho lol.
Punished Dwarf: A dwarf denied his Switch

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue May 30, 2017 11:08 am

PS3 had great games on it. Everything from Journey to Demon's Souls to Motorstorm to God of War 3. And they still found time to have Uncharted 2.

Baller machine
ImageImage

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Tue May 30, 2017 12:13 pm

It had great games but goddamit was it a piece of shit hardware. Two updates per week which took an hour to complete, ridiculous install times, one of the worst gamepads for a mainstream system ever and some abysmally bad 360-ports thanks to their wonderful Cell technology.

Looking back it baffles me how I even managed to enjoy some games on that thing. But then Valkyria Chronicles, Heavy Rain and Last of Us were fantastic all things considered.

regemond

Post by regemond » Tue May 30, 2017 12:33 pm

Heavy Rain was fantastic? WTF were you smoking??

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Tue May 30, 2017 2:42 pm

Obviously better stuff than you were. I'm not one to get annoyed by a bunch of logical mistakes and I didn't play the Move version so for me it was a fantastic experience. I think I preferred Beyond as Cage usually feels more comfortable when going full supernatural but HR was still extremely memorable thanks to its atmosphere, soundtrack, characters and of course decisions.

regemond

Post by regemond » Tue May 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Don't get me wrong, I watched the wife play both of Cage's games on PS3 while she was preggers, I didn't play actually them myself, but they just looked so awkward for certain actions. I liked the end of Heavy Rain, a lot, but the rest wasn't all that for me (although it was an awesome idea and I'm surprised that kind of plot hasn't been done more in games since then). Technically it was a great idea too - the changing perspectives etc. Kind of set up for what Telltale do now I think.

But I just didn't think the parts added up to all that much as a whole. Suppose it's personal preference though.

Beyond: Two Souls was just fucking barmy. Absolutely crazy. All I remember now though is Ellen Page in a warzone, then the end bit where Green Goblin wants to kill her (he does want to kill her, right?)

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Tue May 30, 2017 6:52 pm

I liked Heavy Rain. Sure some bits were silly, but hey the end of Farenheit was hilariously dumb. I've got the PS4 version as a way to replay it, I'm really looking forward to finally trying to get some of the different endings (as the one ending I did get wasn't exactly the best outcome for all involved!)
Never played Beyond though, got that one to play when I get some spare time, looking forward to Detroit as well, I'm hoping its handled well from a story point of view as its something that really interests me.

As for the PS3. All that needs to be said for my love of the console is "Yakuza". Yakuza 3, 4, 5 and especially Kenzan were all amazing games that I can only play on my PS3, and yeah Dead Souls isn't awful either. I dream of them getting ported one day, but until that happens my PS3 is going nowhere, these were probably my favourite games for the system (and in Kenzan's and 5's case the best games of the generation for me).

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Wed May 31, 2017 11:30 am

regemond wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 2:58 pm
Beyond: Two Souls was just fucking barmy. Absolutely crazy. All I remember now though is Ellen Page in a warzone, then the end bit where Green Goblin wants to kill her (he does want to kill her, right?)
You forgot the shower scene but yeah, that's pretty much it. I loved it.

I don't know when you watched the wife playing them but I suppose Quantic Dreams' games don't age that well. They all look great visually, but movement and facial animations were a bit stiff already back when Heavy Rain came out so I suppose it could look a bit dated today which of course has an impact into how you feel about everything since it's supposed to be a rather emotional journey for Ethan.

But then again, the first third of Fahrenheit is still really good even today...