The SONY thread

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
*OneTwo*

Re: The SONY thread

Post by *OneTwo* » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:57 pm

:lol:

You don't need to join us. There's no light level increase. Obv be good to have the team together and you'll get to see the other Raid. Four Raids all with new rewards. Nothing fancy just a nice lap of honour/nostalgia trip before D2 hits. Got like 5 months so no rush. We're just popping on now n again.well let you know if your fussed?

I myself might pop on tomo/Wed for a nosey.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:59 pm

Yeah I'll help you out. You'll probably need it and I don't mind

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:05 pm

Sometimes what you need is a professional. To bring the professionalism. Professionally.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:05 pm

And that would be me

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Sony is expected to record its best profit in two decades this week, which has caused the company's shares to surge. The firm's stock closed 3.84 per cent higher in Japan amid chatter that the organisation may be on the verge of reporting its strongest profit since 1998. The organisation recently indicated that its upcoming earnings report is likely to be significantly above expectations.

Ever since former PlayStation president Kaz Hirai took charge, the Japanese giant has been slowly recovering from a dismal period of loss after loss. The CEO has shrunk the business significantly, but the electronics icon is now much leaner and more focused as a result – and it's bearing the results at a spreadsheet level.

PlayStation is obviously going through a purple patch, but the firm's financial and semiconductor businesses are also thriving. The next great challenge for Hirai is reviving its movie sector, which is going through a torrid time. There were rumours that current PlayStation president Andrew House may be brought in to fix things, but a spokesperson denied those reports.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:29 pm

PS4 Shipments Pass 60 Million as PlayStation Nears Record Profit

Sony managed to ship an outrageous 20 million PlayStation 4 consoles between 1st April 2016 and 31st March 2017, putting total shipments of the console up to 60 million units worldwide. As of 1st January the device had sold 53.4 million units directly to consumers, so it's probably safe to assume that its install base isn't particular far off the shipped number. Through the current fiscal year, the organisation expects to ship a further 18 million units, as the machine nears that all-important 100 million units milestone.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon May 01, 2017 7:12 pm

:| interesting read...

Why Sony Is Zagging While the Industry Zigs

Third-party publishers are bullish: service games are the future. All of the big games makers are at it: Activision's got Destiny, Call of Duty, and – via its subsidiary Blizzard – Overwatch; EA's got FIFA Ultimate Team among others; Ubisoft's been kept busy with The Division, The Crew, Rainbow Six: Siege, and countless others. As opposed to the old days, where games were almost considered disposable, now companies want to keep you playing the same title for longer. Frequent updates help to maintain engagement, while microtransactions and DLC packs fund the elongated development cycles.

But there's one major publisher that's bucking the trend: Sony. Don't get us wrong, it has its fair share of service-based games: the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport seems tailor-made around the burgeoning business model, and the multiplayer portion of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End employs a similar tactic. But beyond one-and-done experiments like Drawn to Death, the platform holder appears to be zagging while the rest of the industry zigs. So why is it doing things so differently from the competition if service-based games are seemingly the future?

Well, look at some of its upcoming games: God of War, The Last of Us: Part II, Spider-Man, Detroit: Become Human, and Days Gone. They are – to the best of our knowledge right now – traditional single player campaigns. And they stick out like a sore thumb in an industry dominated by constantly connected, online-only, multiplayer-heavy, service-driven blockbusters, don't they? Who else is making games like these? Bethesda, maybe? CD Projekt RED every five years? There aren't many publishers betting big on single player anymore.

But that's exactly why the strategy works: Sony is leveraging the strengths of its Worldwide Studios to fill a portion of the PlayStation 4's portfolio that is underserved right now. Service games like Destiny, Overwatch, and The Division are juggernauts – it's hard to steal players away. And they all just so happen to be games that can already be played on the PS4, so why go up against them? By creating something like Horizon: Zero Dawn or The Last Guardian or any number of other first-party games, the Japanese giant is adding something different to its library.

And that, at the end of the day, is the purpose of first-party: to plug the gaps that third-parties leave behind. Whether it'd be more financially rewarding for Sony to chase the games as service dream is a question we can't answer, and it's clearly embracing the model where it makes sense. But as players, we can only appreciate the assortment of experiences that the platform holder's unique approach enables – after all, variety is very much the spice of life.

Chinese UN Mission.

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 am

KInda why I like Sony at the mo. I love single player focused games, and their platform is getting tons of them that can't be gotten on any other console. Hence why I spend all my time on the console at the moment. Hopefully we'll see a similar trend at E3, with more single player focused games announced.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 am

Spider-Man

Wonder how different it will look this year

I was thinking about E3

6 weeks away

Sigh

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun May 07, 2017 7:58 pm

8) its still fascinating to me that but for Nintendos cold feet there's so many games that I would never had played.

The Nintendo PlayStation Prototype Is Now Functional Thanks to a Modder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaIfPuziJ-0

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 pm

PlayStation Plus subscribers hit 26.4m, up 27%

The number of paid PlayStation Plus subscriptions rose to 26.4m in 2016, Sony has confirmed, showing a growth of 27 per cent since 2015.

The news comes from Sony's investor relations day 2017 presentation, where the company talked about its plans to further grow the PlayStation 4 ecosystem. However, considering the number of PS Plus subscribers almost doubled in 2015, it appears Sony hasn't been able to replicate its success for a second time running.

However, it also reported that the total number of monthly active users on the PlayStation Network as a whole has now reached 70m, as of March 31st 2017.

For comparison, Microsoft reported in April that the number of monthly active users on Xbox Live has now reached 52m – a figure that includes both free and paid Gold members.

As for PS4 hardware sales, Sony didn't reveal any new figures in its presentation, but it did predict that it will sell 78m units by the end of the fiscal year 2017. It's also hoping upcoming titles such as Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and GT Sport will help enhance the console's game line-up.

That said, there are still several factors stacked against Sony. Despite the company predicting a growth of 25 per cent year-on-year in operating profit next year for its games and network services segment, much of its growth is set to be curtailed by a combination of falling PS3 sales, poor exchange rates and rising SGA expenses, almost all of Sony's expected growth in network revenue will be practically wiped out come the end of the year, leaving its growing PS4 and PS VR business as the main driver behind its growth.

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue May 30, 2017 3:48 am

Sony has announced that PlayStation 3 production has ended in Japan, which essentially means that the console is done and dusted. Back in March, the company said that the end would soon be coming, and now it's put the final nail in the coffin.

The PS3 launched over a decade ago in its homeland; it'll be 11 years old this November. Up until 2015 or so, the last-gen console was still doing decent numbers in the land of the rising sun, but once the PlayStation 4 really started to hit its stride, sales saw a huge decline. From that point on, it was only a matter of time.

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:57 pm

Japanese Sales Charts: PS4 Passes 5 Million Milestone

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:11 pm

sleepery jeem wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:29 pm
Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:29 pm
PS4 Shipments Pass 60 Million as PlayStation Nears Record Profit

Sony has shipped 63.3 million PlayStation 4 consoles globally.

The figure comes courtesy of the Japanese giant’s first quarter financial report, which covers the period spanning 1st April to 30th June.

We know that, as of 13th June, the console had sold 60.4 million units directly through to consumers, so everything adds up nicely.

Console shipments for Q1 2017 are actually down marginally year-over-year, but this is in line with the platform holder’s forecast, where it expects to sell 18 million PS4s this fiscal year, compared to 20 million in 2016.

Interestingly, while gaming sales were up 5.8 per cent for the quarter, operating income declined significantly.

Of course, Sony attributes this drop to Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, which proved a huge seller in May 2016, and seriously bolstered its earnings last year.

The company also noted that the selling price of the PS4 has decreased, though it obviously has PlayStation VR and PS4 Pro to offset that.

As a whole, though, this was a good quarter for the company, with its financial services and semiconductor businesses both registering impressive year-over-year improvements.

Only the manufacturer’s movie division remains in the red, but with Spider-Man Homecoming still to be accounted for, it’s looking like this is going to be a very good year for the Japanese firm.

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:17 pm

TGS 2017: Is This PlayStation's Best Ever Commercial?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/09/ ... commercial

:lol:

Chinese UN Mission.