The Xbox ONE thread

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
User avatar
maf-me-quick
Posts: 18649
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 pm
Location: ON THE MOOOOON!

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:21 am

At least I would of downloaded it overnight. I woke up this morning and the Xbox has turned it self off after an hour so only got 80% done. I’ve left it on again while going to work, and had to check the electric meter to see how much it eats.

Maybe not a fair test because my house has 3 TV’s plugged in a PS4 Pro, and 2 Xbox One (Haven’t uninstalled the old one yet)

12 hours in let’s say and so far this thing has just been a pain in the butt. The final verdict for me will be tonight when I actually get tomplay Forza and see what it’s like. At this stage in the game though I definitely would say do not purchase unless you have lightening internet and a TV that’s better than mine
ImageImage

User avatar
Maryokutai
Posts: 4736
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Luxembourg

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 am

Just put it to instant-on overnight if you need to download something. Uses slightly less energy and still continues downloads. Unfortunately it doesn't completely power off after the download is complete like the 360 did so you have to change your settings again later.

User avatar
maf-me-quick
Posts: 18649
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 pm
Location: ON THE MOOOOON!

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:39 am

Pro tip. I’ll do that later.
ImageImage

User avatar
maf-me-quick
Posts: 18649
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 pm
Location: ON THE MOOOOON!

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:17 am

I’m hoping down the line this process gets easier. I wonder if this is such a pain because most of the data isn’t on the disc and all the 4K patches are so huge. Hopefully going forward they start including more of this on the disc and the added downloads get smaller, because getting a new game and having to wait over night to be able to play it is kind of unliveable for me.
ImageImage

User avatar
Noozles
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:53 pm
Location: Sort of South West UK....

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by Noozles » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:18 am

I know this really isn't helpful now, but there was a tick box in the system folders... been there for a month that meant that you could pre download the 4K content ahead of time. Forza has been around for a week, gears 4 longer... guess thats useful for anyone that might get one...

User avatar
maf-me-quick
Posts: 18649
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 pm
Location: ON THE MOOOOON!

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:15 pm

See I haven’t been using my Xbox at all in anticipation of the X, thinking I’ll play it all on there, which I will, but maybe in a couple of weeks it takes to install it all :(
ImageImage

User avatar
maf-me-quick
Posts: 18649
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 pm
Location: ON THE MOOOOON!

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Maryokutai wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 am
Just put it to instant-on overnight if you need to download something. Uses slightly less energy and still continues downloads. Unfortunately it doesn't completely power off after the download is complete like the 360 did so you have to change your settings again later.
Does that mean I can leave it to only be on for an hour instead of 6, and then after that hour it will power down but still download?
ImageImage

User avatar
tresdoss
Posts: 3570
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:03 am
Location: Gridlock.

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by tresdoss » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:51 pm

No, it doesn't...

Just start the download manually or automatically, set it to "instant on" power mode and shut down the console, the download will continue in the background. The only difference is the Xbox One won't fully power down once it's finished unlike the 360.

I only got an hour with mine last night, unlike Maf, I was prepared and it was up and running within half an hour... Gears 4 looks fucking stunning.

In regards to the dash running at 1080p, the developers apparently told MS they could use the extra memory so it was knocked down from 4k for that reason, devs gained 1gb of ram.
Image
Image

User avatar
Maryokutai
Posts: 4736
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Luxembourg

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:16 pm

tresdoss wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:51 pm
No, it doesn't...
Of course it does? It just doesn't make much sense because as you say it will download anyway while in Instant On, so you can just turn it off right away instead of waiting an hour.

Still if you have the console set on Instant On it will always go into that mode whether you turn it off manually or if it turns off itself after 1/6 hours.

User avatar
tresdoss
Posts: 3570
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:03 am
Location: Gridlock.

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by tresdoss » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:37 pm

Maryokutai wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:16 pm
tresdoss wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:51 pm
No, it doesn't...
Of course it does? It just doesn't make much sense because as you say it will download anyway while in Instant On, so you can just turn it off right away instead of waiting an hour.

Still if you have the console set on Instant On it will always go into that mode whether you turn it off manually or if it turns off itself after 1/6 hours.
I've never used the power down after an hour of inactivity setting, which I guess is what Mafs talking about... I presumed that would be a full power down.

Why would anyone use that setting for downloads in any case?
Image
Image

User avatar
One-armed dwarf
Posts: 4426
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 pm

Punished Dwarf: A dwarf denied his Switch

User avatar
One-armed dwarf
Posts: 4426
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 pm

I wanna see some 4K screenshots of Halo 3 and Ninja Gaiden Black.

Who's gonna provide.
Punished Dwarf: A dwarf denied his Switch

User avatar
Maryokutai
Posts: 4736
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Luxembourg

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:27 pm

tresdoss wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:37 pm
Maryokutai wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:16 pm
tresdoss wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:51 pm
No, it doesn't...
Of course it does? It just doesn't make much sense because as you say it will download anyway while in Instant On, so you can just turn it off right away instead of waiting an hour.

Still if you have the console set on Instant On it will always go into that mode whether you turn it off manually or if it turns off itself after 1/6 hours.
I've never used the power down after an hour of inactivity setting, which I guess is what Mafs talking about... I presumed that would be a full power down.

Why would anyone use that setting for downloads in any case?
I've used it for small downloads when I didn't want to set the console to Instant-On for example. Sometimes also when I'm installing something from a disc because I have no idea how that works with Instant-On, if at all.

User avatar
maf-me-quick
Posts: 18649
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 pm
Location: ON THE MOOOOON!

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:47 pm

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 pm
I wanna see some 4K screenshots of Halo 3 and Ninja Gaiden Black.

Who's gonna provide.
I will okay some Halo 3. Don’t know how I will post 4K screens though
ImageImage

User avatar
maf-me-quick
Posts: 18649
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 pm
Location: ON THE MOOOOON!

Re: The Xbox ONE thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Nope. Forza still not downloaded. It crashed my internet again
ImageImage

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests