The Nintendo Switch Thread

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
maf-me-quick

Re: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:40 pm

I do like that they basically said Play every Final Fantasy game ever!

Except 8

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:44 pm

The actual boring reason is they don't have a good port of the game ready to go. They are lazy about this stuff.

The other ones all had ones done for pc and phone.

IX on PS4 for instance is the phone version. It had awful tinny compressed sound like it was made for a phone. They fixed that eventually. But the UI is big and ugly like it's made for touch screen.

Instead of VIII they should actually just make a triple triad game for switch. Like seriously
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:47 pm

That is what they tell you, but we all know the real reason

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:55 pm

So I know this will be extremely unexciting news for some but I like that they’re bringing Super Mario Bros U and the Luigi expansion to Switch. I can’t defend these games and act like it’s top tier Mario but I still really like both of these games.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Also in case anyone missed it because there were a lot of titles here are all the FF games coming too Switch

Why people would play any FF game post 6 on a non-Sony machine is beyond me. They are treacherous sea dogs and should be shot. But if I had to I could see maybe 15 Pocket Edition or FF World

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 pm

A 4chan guy says Dante will be announced for smash in November

Also the final fantasies are coming to Xbox as well
🌚

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:47 am

Decent show. Luigi's Mansion 3 is a nice surprise as is the rather soulless but still welcome dump of a bunch of FF titles. I was planning on getting Crystal Chronicles anyway but I might add both HD remasters to that list. Never got around to playing them on PS4.

New Gamefreak title looks really nice as well and gives me hopes for the next mainline Pokémon game which, as I expected, is definitely not going going to launch before the end of 2020.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:23 am

Skylines runs bad the more complex the city http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/09/14/citi ... the-ground

I was thinking this, there's such a difference between showing footage of early and late play in a game like that. And the bit they showed looked like it was really struggling.

Civ will be an interesting case. Even on a desktop PC it takes a while to calculate late game turns for the AI. That interface would be perfect for Civ though, if it's touch screen.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:30 am

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:44 pm
The actual boring reason is they don't have a good port of the game ready to go. They are lazy about this stuff.
Here's that in more detail, it's even worse than I imagined
It was unlikely to ever be considered in the first place. All these titles are the same ones which got PS4/PC re-releases not too long ago; those re-releases are cleaned-up versions of earlier PC releases. Square don't seem able to use the original PSX releases anymore so they've re-ported the old PC ones. This is where FF VIII is stuck.
The original PC release of VIII is garbage. It still ships/downloads with the MIDI music which was used back in the day because PCs at the time couldn't handle music as well as the PSX. It still has certain GFs sharing sound effects. It still has only the most generic controller support, so you better like trying to figure out which of your buttons is "button 11". It still has FMVs which have more compression than the original PSX release. It still has longer load times—even off an SSD—and frame hitches. It still has many bugs and crashes if certain enemies use particular attacks in particular areas. It still uses wonky models and textures which are in some cases lower-poly/res than the PSX used. It still doesn't support anything approaching a modern resolution.

I could go on. The point is, it's totally borked. Fan mods have tried to fix it but they've only made minor headway, even after all these years. There are HD UI mods but those, for some bizarre reason, were also made with totally different fonts and colours to the original, so although they're sharp they also look, well, like something a 14-year-old in 2000 would think is totally metal. There are soundtrack mods to put in the PSX's music but some sound effects can't be updated, the music hitches if the files are too high-quality, and some GFs and magic still have the wrong sound playing. There are resolution mods but they cause some of the geometry to freak out, and there are frame rate mods but they screw up the timing of the gunblade trigger, Zell's limit break, and some of the button mashing you have to do in the story. People have swapped in the PSX's cutscenes nicely upscaled, too, but those also hitch.

The whole thing is absolutely screwed. Square have never attempted to update it and nearly twenty years of fan mods have only barely made it playable. Common conspiracy is that Square did a Konami and have lost some or all of the original data, which is why it's never gotten a newer port like VII and IX. Whatever the reason, the original (terrible) VIII PC release is still sold alongside the newer VII and IX ones, but is totally unfit for re-porting to PS4 (and now Switch).

So I don't think VIII got "benched" here; it was just never on the cards to begin with. There is a very, very real chance that VIII may be impossible to have re-released on a modern system in a fully working state, other than having a full remake.

I knew about the 'wrong' low res polygons and wrong music but not all the other stuff. There's no quick rush job to be done with VIII like the other ones.

The only decent FF port is the one they did with XII. X had new music and stuff but a lot of the new graphics stuff looks worse than the original.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:29 am

I'm remembering now also that the port of VII is a bit fucked up also.

Sometimes it miscues the wrong bit of music for a scene.

For the big reveal where they tell you Cloud's past they have constant music bugs that ruin the mood. It's right when they make this big reveal you're supposed to hear the FFVII main theme, starting from around the 3:50 mark, but they play this fucking shit instead killing the mood. :evil:

The music also doesn't loop properly.

They farm out these ports to the most amateur studios and never fix the issues with them.

People will say it's just music, but music becomes more important for these old games once the gameplay systems and graphics are dated as shit.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Your cloud saves get deleted when you don't stay subscribed to the Switch online stuff.

Backup service which deletes your backup, doesn't sound very useful.

For reference Plus does not do this. I sub on and off to Plus mainly for transferring saves across systems.
🌚

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Plus does it but only after six months. Xbox doesn't do it and you don't even need a subscription for it.

In comparison Nintendo seems, well, less interesting. That said it's still the only way to have some sort of backup, so...

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:50 pm

I didn't know that Plus does, but tbh I'm sceptical it does as I have massive stints where I'm not subbed to Plus but just recently I pulled some old DmC saves down from the cloud, a game I haven't touched since 2015.

Curious now to check what my sub history is
🌚

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:08 pm

It's what people have been saying thanks to Nintendo's announcement and Sony confirms it as well:
If your PlayStation Plus subscription expires then you will no longer be able to access Online Storage until you renew your subscription. However, any game saves stored will be kept for six months and you will be able to access them as before when you renew the subscription, as long as you do so within that six month period.
https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5 ... p/12558216

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:33 pm

I stand corrected but I def feel like I've been unsubbed to Plus for more than 6 months. Like when I was in deep on FFXIV during my initial addiction and played nothing else 🤔
🌚